Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The possible problem of sewage from southern hotels/beach clubs and cruise ships is questionable as it relates to the SCTLD. This is similar to the mantra that sargassum is a result of (fake) climate change and excess fertilizer runoff in Brazil spewed into the ocean via the Amazon river. That was suggested (not proven) by one person then gets repeated ad naseum until it becomes fact.

Now sewage is repeated many times yet there may be no proven correlation. Iberostar is north of the closed reef systems. The current predominantly flows north...away from those reefs. Explain how suggested, but to my knowledge not proven...untreated or inadequately treated sewage from Iberostar could impact the southern reefs even if it was proven that it is a factor.

Ever since Dengue Fever became an issue, the beach clubs have been over zealous in spraying insecticides in the pool areas, palapas, beach chairs and the beach sand. At Sabor, the air is permeated with the smell of insecticides. Personally, I think that the runoff from God knows what are in these chemicals is a big part of the problem.

Do you fly on planes, drive a vehicle that uses fossil fuel, heat and cool your house with fossil fuel generated electricity (natural gas), etc?

Do you fly on planes, drive a vehicle that uses fossil fuel, heat and cool your house with fossil fuel generated electricity (natural gas), etc?
Good point. If everybody doesn't so something then nobody should. There is no reason to change if pointing the finger is easier. Very efficient.

Minimizing the the things you do, the energy you waste, being mindful of the crap you buy makes a difference. Conservation and habit changes are a bridge to use until better technologies are created. I'm going to keep doing something even if others don't. I moved to reduce both my commute and my energy footprint. I own and buy less stuff. I focused on what is the most important to me and ditched the rest. Might not save the world but a half assed effort is better than nothing. Have a nice day.

Good point. If everybody doesn't so something then nobody should. There is no reason to change if pointing the finger is easier. Very efficient.

Minimizing the the things you do, the energy you waste, being mindful of the crap you buy makes a difference. Conservation and habit changes are a bridge to use until better technologies are created. I'm going to keep doing something even if others don't. I moved to reduce both my commute and my energy footprint. I own and buy less stuff. I focused on what is the most important to me and ditched the rest. Might not save the world but a half assed effort is better than nothing. Have a nice day.

If bailing water when there is a big gaping hole in the hull makes you feel better about yourself, feel free to continue. But don't be chastising others who recognize the futility of it.

If bailing water when there is a big gaping hole in the hull makes you feel better about yourself, feel free to continue. But don't be chastising others who recognize the futility of it.
Actually I was taught to plug big gaping holes with water gushing through them in the flooding trainers in Pearl Harbor and Bangor but I get your point.

No drop of water blames itself for the flood.

Can you guys knock it off? This thread is degenerating into a sand-box fight. Y'all aren't going to convince anybody to change their views the way you are going at it. Start a new thread and use it to promote and discuss your views on ecology.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom