Best way to don/doff harness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andrei Astra

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What's the best way to put on a harness, the right arm first, or the left arm first?

I'm using a BP/W with a single piece harness and a single tank. It's definitely the right arm first if I'm diving in a wet suit. Both of the regulator hoses are on the right and I make sure that they run correctly above/under the arm. I also moved the computer to the right hand. This way the left arm is free of obstructions and I can easily don the left shoulder strap last.

It changed when I started diving with a dry suit. It has the release valve at the left shoulder/upper arm. When I don/doff the left strap, it catches the release valve every time.

What's the common solution for the problem?

inflator side for me so no webbing and hose rolling into a twisted mess
this alleviates the dry suit dump thing and I don't wear no wrist gauges

I have a different regulator setup so not sure if it will apply, (octo hose left, main reg hose right) but my donning technique is to feed the drysuit hose through the right strap and clip it into my suit before feeding my arm through the strap so the hose is already in and feeds under my arm.

I moved my computer to my right hand so I can then blindly feed my left hand through the left strap (with my back turned towards the strap) without it catching on the computer, although the drygloves are a pain if im not feeling flexible.

As for taking it off, I do RHIB diving in the UK so just undo the belt/hoses then pull it over my head in while dipping my head forward into the water and hand it up to the boat, which sounds precarious on paper but its way faster than fiddling round which straps or clips and I just keep the reg in my mouth while taking it off so I don't drown.

Curious to see other peoples methods as my donning techique is a bit hard over winter where all the pie n ales I consume make my drysuit less flexible somehow.

There always the best method: ask a friend for help kitting up :)

I think the issue you describe with your harness strap getting caught on the drysuit dump valve is common.

It helps to have your dive partner help you get your rig on/off, but I have a self-sufficient mentality and often don/doff my bp/w without assistance.

For putting it on, I start with my left arm. I stand my tank up (easier if there is a rock, table, or other elevated surface to put it on), I squat down and pass my left arm through and get the strap on my shoulder then I stand up and bend slightly at the waist to support the tank on my back. I then slide my right arm into the shoulder strap on that of the harness. This is followed by a little hula hoop action to get my crotch strap to swing between my legs so I can grab it and secure it and the waist belt.

For taking it off, I grab my shoulder d-rings and pull the straps off my shoulders onto my upper arms. I then remove my right arm and lean to my right a little. I then lower my rig onto the ground (or elevated surface if available) and then slide my left arm out...this keeps the straps from getting caught on the dump valve.

A couple of things further:
1. I routinely dive with a single 12L cylinder. Things might be different if I was diving doubles or with a larger/heavier single cylinder...in that case I would be more apt to rely on my partner for help.

2. It helps to have your shoulder straps not be snug. I like to have at least a fists length of slack between my chest and my shoulder straps (make a fist and put your thumb end against your chest).

Hope that helps.

-Z

I think the issue you describe with your harness strap getting caught on the drysuit dump valve is common.
IME it's more than just "a little" common :)

Unless I'm on vacation, I always dive dry. When donning the rig, I slip my left arm through the harness, because both catching the strap on the shoulder valve and twisting up the inflator/strap is a lot easier to fix with my right arm free. Then I slip my right arm through the shoulder strap, thread the waist strap through the crotch strap loop and tighten the waist strap. Finally I reach out behind me to find my backup, slip the necklace over my head and unclip my primary from my right shoulder D-ring. Doffing is basically the reverse, except I usually bend my right elbow and "chicken wing" my right arm out, hand first. And if I'm doffing in the water I keep my reg in my mouth all the time.

With a drysuit definitely left arm first (because the reason you described).

It's all a bit in the details, and yours may vary but this is how I do.

Both single and double tanks I get in the harness sitting (meaning the tank is set in the trunk of my car or on a bench/rock... something stable).

DONNING
- Setup: Make sure that all the webbing is unobstructed, crotch strap free, no long hose or backup reg in the way.
- Drysuit hose is coming from the right post (backup reg) and is going under my right webbing. So I first connect the drysuit hose to the drysuit, then slip in my left arm just and "hook" the deflator valve just behind the webbing. Then I turn gently to the left (with the left arm still attached) so I create more room on the right to slip my arm in the right webbing, which I slip in by stretching my right arm behind feeling for the webbing loop. After I slip down a bit so I create more room to adjust the webbing over my shoulders and then sit up again. Finally stand up (or keep seated) and attach belt webbing, scrotch strap, backup reg, longhose, lamp hose.
- Having backup lights attached to the webbing makes it easier because the loops of the webbing don't collapse.

GETTING OUT:
- I sit down, unloop the long hose over my head (but still attached to the right d ring with a boltsnap), take of the backup reg, disconnect the drysuit hose.
- Now I pull on the longhose reg (which is attached to the right D-ring) and at the same time on the left pull on the wing deflator hose (which is attached with bungee to the left webbing. Like this you have more reach and can pull off both webbing over your shoulder. When this is done it's just a matter of stretching your arms to the side and back and step out of the BP.

Left and right is a bit confusing but depends on how you are looking at your (double) set), or if you are seated with your back to the set.

Easy peasy with a bit of training.

Both single and double tanks I get in the harness sitting (meaning the tank is set in the trunk of my car or on a bench/rock... something stable).
Except that I only dive single tank, I agree completely. I also prefer to have my buddy steady the rig so it doesn't fall over (a singles rig can fall sideways as well as backwards. Ask me how I know...). If I start messing up they can give me a small hand straightening out the right hand shoulder strap.

I also prefer to slide a little down/forward on my butt so I'm noticeably lower relative to my rig than when I'm carrying it. Being to high compared to the rig makes life a lot more complicated when I'm donning it.

Aaah one thing I forgot... nothing easier than a buddy helping... he only needs to keep the webbing open (and maybe guide your hand in)... ;-) That's what buddies are for!

I have poor shoulder mobility because both shoulders have been surgically repaired, so I have trouble backing into my harness regardless of which arm I put through first.

My method is to lay the rig on the deck with the bottom of the tank pointing away from me, put both arms through the harness, and grasp the tank firmly with both hands. Then I pick up the whole rig, lift it over my head, and gently lower it onto my back.

It requires a bit of arm and core strength, and I don't use this method if there's more than a light sea state, but on dry land or in calm seas, it's the closest I get to donning the rig gracefully.

Hey mate before you cripple yourself hows about you have your preferred
arm by your side with that hand in the middle of your chest sort of like the
guy doing a modified both shoulders operated on chicken wing dance and

slip your arm in elbow first

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom