Cabo San Lucas, San Jose del Cabo, Cabo Pulmo - depth limit 15m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The doctor....health problems.
Probably nothing will happen till 16m but I want to respect his advice.

In Cabo San Lucas, you can head out to the arches and dive with sea lions and stay within that depth limit. In Cabo Pulmo, one of the most popular dives is at El Vencedor where the bull sharks tend to hang out. Not a deep dive. I believe we were around the 15 metre mark at times, hanging out on the sandy bottom but you will want to check that with the dive shops to be sure as we may have been as deep as 18 m or so. I will say that currents there can be super gnarly though in case that is relevant to your health issues too.

In Cabo, our first dive has always been Pelican Rock, on the way out to Land's End. It is very easy to stay above 15 meters at that site, although you can go much deeper. When we have done Land's End (the Arch), we have usually gone deeper than 15 meters, as the surface chop tends to be quite pronounced.

There are a couple other shallow dives also on the way out to Land's End, maybe you can arrange for the dive op to let you dive one of them.

Also, the depths along the Corridor are variable as is the structure, it would be easy to stay within your dive profile limitations there, even if the other divers went deeper.

We dove Cabo Pulmo the last time we were there. The depth at the shipwreck site where the Bull Sharks hang out was 49 feet to the bottom, and clearly you would not be required to go to the sand to experience that dive. We also did a dive out in the middle of the area to observe a swirling school of jacks, and that site was 58 feet to the bottom, but the profile there was to stay on the bottom for stability and observe.

Since those are the only two dives we've done at Cabo Pulmo, you might check with others with more experience to see if there are dives that fit your limitations.

Hello,
Which are the best sites till 15m in these places?
Thanks

like others have said, pelican rock is nice but a real cool and easy to stay very shallow dive site is chileno bay. we hit this spot and saw a small shark too. it spooked and bugged out fast when it saw us. highly suggest doing that dive. there are multiple different coral reefs and outcroppings, its about a 15 minute boat ride from the pelicon rock and lands end area....we did all three dives in one day. chileno then pelican then lands end.

oh fyi this dive site is not IN chileno bay itself it is a bit further out. I go snorkeling in chileno bay itself alot as that is a beach accessible easily by car.

oh and another thought. If due to the shallow depth you dive away from the other divers a short distance away id suggest a small pony bottle say 6cf would be fine or 13cf i you want a bit bigger. I have a 19cf that I fly to mexico with. you have to unscrew the top then crank it back on when you get there but its no big deal. totally recommend especially if you are at different depths than other divers on your boat.

In Cabo Pulmo, there's only one dive site which people don't usually go to that often - (mario's reef) - that is around 80-90 feet. It's usually pretty sparse and the reason why I ever go there is for bull shark sightings.

But they are also usually at El Vencedor.

Most dive sites in CP are usually around 55-60 feet - close to your 15 meter limit.
You can always speak to your DM/guide and you will adjust your dive accordingly and stay above the group if they go deeper for any reason. It's not going to be a problem!

The only time they will ask you to hug the bottom is if there are a lot of bull sharks swimming around and they want to keep the dive group together.

I might add that if the currents are raging, you may also need to hug the bottom at El Vencedor. I might have had a less common experience (I went in March) but I was literally hunkered into the sand gripping with my life to try and stay more or less in place because the counter-current was ripping hard (admittedly another DM found out about this the next day and was aggravated that the DM let us go in these conditions - let's just say I had to move out of the way of a turtle because s/he was getting ripped back in the current despite her best little finning efforts). This was the case on several visits to that site. Again, something you can raise with the DM before the dive - and just to be aware that in that case, it could lead to an aborted dive for you if you can't get down the few extra metres to a more 'stable' spot.

In Cabo San Lucas, you can head out to the arches and dive with sea lions and stay within that depth limit. In Cabo Pulmo, one of the most popular dives is at El Vencedor where the bull sharks tend to hang out. Not a deep dive. I believe we were around the 15 metre mark at times, hanging out on the sandy bottom but you will want to check that with the dive shops to be sure as we may have been as deep as 18 m or so. I will say that currents there can be super gnarly though in case that is relevant to your health issues too.[/Q

Thank you very much, just now I saw the post

I might add that if the currents are raging, you may also need to hug the bottom at El Vencedor. I might have had a less common experience (I went in March) but I was literally hunkered into the sand gripping with my life to try and stay more or less in place because the counter-current was ripping hard (admittedly another DM found out about this the next day and was aggravated that the DM let us go in these conditions - let's just say I had to move out of the way of a turtle because s/he was getting ripped back in the current despite her best little finning efforts). This was the case on several visits to that site. Again, something you can raise with the DM before the dive - and just to be aware that in that case, it could lead to an aborted dive for you if you can't get down the few extra metres to a more 'stable' spot.

Thank you very much, I'll certainly check it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom