Grand Cayman, sell it to me!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have an unpopular opinion that the diving on GC, even West Bay, is better than the Brac :) We haven't done Little Cayman yet.

I have an unpopular opinion that the diving on GC, even West Bay, is better than the Brac :) We haven't done Little Cayman yet.
I've dived GC extensively over the last 7 years and some of the best dives I've had were in West Bay - not sure why there seems to be a stigma with some for West Bay diving? For Brac, I'll weigh in after my first trip there this November!

I've dived GC extensively over the last 7 years and some of the best dives I've had were in West Bay - not sure why there seems to be a stigma with some for West Bay diving? For Brac, I'll weigh in after my first trip there this November!

I don't get it, either! We love the West Bay area. We are going for a week in January to (hopefully) just shore dive in that area, conditions permitting. It's some of my favorite diving in general, not just in the Caymans.

It's all based on personal preferences and past experiences I believe. I've had fabulous, great, good, okay, and mediocre dives off of all 3 Cayman islands over the years.

Even Little Cayman offers some "good but nothing special" dives if the weather turns against you and you can't dive Bloody Bay Wall or Jackson's Bight. In those cases both Brac and GC can usually provide better options than LC in my experience.

I first dived GC in the 1980s when the walls and reefs were spectacular - and algae and bleaching had not yet become a problems in Cayman or most other areas of the Caribbean. One of my all time best dive memories is a night shore dive on the West Side on the reef that is now called Hepp's - and it is still a great spot! But like most areas of the Caribbean, the popular dive sites show some signs of stress and the passage of years (don't we all!) and they come up a little short when compared to that ideal memory. And GC is the most popular Cayman destination so there are just more boats and divers putting pressure on the reefs.

Also, if you happen to visit any popular dive spots when the weather or vis isn't great or there just are not as many fish as usual on the reef, it influences your opinion of the site.

Everybody has their favorites, but you can have great Caribbean dives off of all 3 Cayman islands IMO, and GC is still our favorite Cayman island for shore dives!

There is very good diving on the East End of Grand Cayman, and you are likely to see more sharks in that area, check out Compass Point - but it may be more expensive and you will have to rent a car:
Compass Point Dive Resort in the Cayman Islands

@dberry did a GC trip report that included Compass Point and Ocean Frontiers and some GC shore dives on the west side:
GC trip report: west side, east side, shore dive, and eats

Perfect! thanks for the link.
Looking at my frist trip in April of 2020 and I'm thinking I'm going to enjoy the east side!

This pictures is what draws me back to the condo our family owns in Grand Cayman. Morning walk here with a good cup of coffee (or my daughter if she’s awake). Also the quick and easy access to my favorite shore dive here and Divetech down the road. Lastly I love being away from the hustle and bustle of Georgetown area.

Attachments

• 8E110068-6269-422B-BB61-58D357E339AB.jpeg
    8E110068-6269-422B-BB61-58D357E339AB.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 74
This pictures is what draws me back to the condo our family owns in Grand Cayman. Morning walk here with a good cup of coffee (or my daughter if she’s awake). Also the quick and easy access to my favorite shore dive here and Divetech down the road. Lastly I love being away from the hustle and bustle of Georgetown area.
Hepp's :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom