Backplate and wing setup for me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Swamp_monster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I would like to get a backplate and wing setup. I am set on dive-rite gear however I wanna hear some opinions on a good scaleable setup. I am primarily a recreational diver, I like the idea of minimalizing when recreational diving... However, I am looking to also get into tec diving and want a good rig that can support doubles. I guess what I am really asking is what dive-right wing should I get to mostly dive with a single tank and sometimes dive doubles? I am sorta looking for the best of both worlds here however I am not looking to have a huge airbag on my back that just gets in the way when not diving doubles. Another topic I would like advice on would be the backplate its self. I like the idea of diving with no/less weight, with my bc it takes about 4 lbs for me to sink with an al80 and no wetsuit. I also would want something that can travel semi easily. Options on ss lite weight backplate or standard backplate? I appreciate any opinions or suggestions or guidance to help me find my rig!

I guess what I am really asking is what dive-right wing should I get to mostly dive with a single tank and sometimes dive doubles?
You won't find a good option.
I am sorta looking for the best of both worlds here however I am not looking to have a huge airbag on my back that just gets in the way when not diving doubles.
If you try to dive a single tank with a doubles wing, you'll have a huge taco of an air bag on your back. Get two wings, one for doubles (40+ lbs) and one for singles (18-35 lbs).
Another topic I would like advice on would be the backplate its self. I like the idea of diving with no/less weight, with my bc it takes about 4 lbs for me to sink with an al80 and no wetsuit. I also would want something that can travel semi easily. Options on ss lite weight backplate or standard backplate? I appreciate any opinions or suggestions or guidance to help me find my rig!
I can just barely do no weight at all in a pool with my Stiletto and an Al80 and no wetsuit, and with my aluminum plate and wing, I sink fast. A lightweight steel back plate will gain you about 3 lbs of negative buoyancy, similar to an aluminum plate, so that might get you underwater with no additional weight. A standard stainless plate will be about 5-6 lbs negative. If you get a plate that requires an STA (single tank adapter), those tend to weigh about 5 lbs more. Even with a 3mm suit and no weight, the one time I borrowed a Halcyon steel plate with STA, I was hugely over-weighted in a freshwater quarry.

Why are you set on Dive-Rite gear?

A standard SS plate travels just fine. You aren't likely to be doing tech dives with no thermal protection. As mentioned, forget the idea of a single/doubles combination wing. Buy what you need when you need it.

You won't find a good option.

If you try to dive a single tank with a doubles wing, you'll have a huge taco of an air bag on your back. Get two wings, one for doubles (40+ lbs) and one for singles (18-35 lbs).

I can just barely do no weight at all in a pool with my Stiletto and an Al80 and no wetsuit, and with my aluminum plate and wing, I'm sink fast. A lightweight steel back plate will gain you about 3 lbs of negative buoyancy, similar to an aluminum plate, so that might get you underwater with no additional weight. A standard stainless plate will be about 5-6 lbs negative. If you get a plate that requires an STA (single tank adapter), those tend to weigh about 5 lbs more. Even with a 3mm suit and no weight, the one time I borrowed a Halcyon steel plate with STA, I was hugely over-weighted in a freshwater quarry.

Why are you set on Dive-Rite gear?
Thanks for the info... I am set on dive rite because I can get a very good deal from my dealer and I really like their stuff.

Before you go buying a wing and/or kit specifically for doubles/ Tec you should first obtain the training. The gear you will need will be highly dependant on many variables that are speculation at this point. For now backplate and wing with 18-30ish pounds lift is a good place to start.

If you’re set on the Dive Rite stuff, get their BP, harness of choice, and one of their single tank wings.

Get the doubles wing later when you’re ready for doubles.

I have a singles wing and a doubles wing.

Reactions: Zef
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom