What are the conditions like in Southeast Florida now?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rob9876

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I haven't been diving in Florida yet. So far, my diving has been either Caribbean (Cozumel and Bahamas) or quarry dives. Thinking about a last minute trip this weekend or next weekend to either PCB (I posted a similar question in Panhandle group) or somewhere on the east coast between Fort Lauderdale and the Keys. I can drive to PCB in about 8 hours, or I can get cheap flights to Fort Lauderdale or Miami. But I have no idea about the conditions in Southeast Florida right now, does anyone know:
  • Current water temps
  • Approximate visibility
  • Bacteria issues (my wife said something about that, I've been away from the news lately)
  • Any other considerations?

We dive out of Jupiter and the water temp last Friday at depth was 83 degrees. Viz was 20 feet but I was told on Sunday it was up to 30 feet. Hurricane Dorian stirred the sea up pretty good and there was a lot of sand on the reefs. However, there were so many fish!!! This Saturday and Sunday the wind is going to be anywhere from 12 mph to a max of 21 mph. The sea will be anywhere from 2.6 ft to a bit over 4 ft. Intervals on Saturday will be 9 to 11. On Sunday the intervals will be around 6. We haven't encountered any bacteria issues in the ocean. You might want to check with dive shops a bit further south from Boynton to Ft. Lauderdale to see what their conditions are expected to be. I hope you can get some good diving in!

Thanks @islanddream for all of the information. Do those wind speeds and/or intervals mean that it will be too choppy to dive in?

Thanks @islanddream for all of the information. Do those wind speeds and/or intervals mean that it will be too choppy to dive in?
The smaller the interval number usually means choppier seas. The interval is the space between waves. So you need to look at the wave height and the intervals to see if you think you want to dive. Some dive shops will cancel dives if the waves are too large and there's too much wind. It's usually OK underwater but the ride out to the dive sites can be challenging if you're prone to being seasick. Also, getting back on the boat via the ladder can be a challenge in sporty seas. I'd definitely touch base with some dive shops a few days before you want to dive to get their opinion on the conditions. Happy diving!

... Looks like it may be OK this weekend, at least Saturday.
I agree...We're gonna dive Saturday instead of Sunday which will be bumpy around JUP/WPB. Further south on Sunday doesn't look great and the panhandle doesn't look great for Sunday either.

@Rob9876 Also 12th to 14th is a 3 day Holiday Weekend and hotel rates can get jacked up. Keep checking the wave links provided and jump on a quick trip when it looks good.

I’m here in ftl. The seas have been very up and down quality wise lately. Temps have been fine but visibility hasn’t been great. We’ve had a few days of choppy seas especially lately with the wind picking up. That being said I do think you’d be fine as long as we don’t have any pop up storms. There’s been a lot of sand on the reefs from Dorian down here as well. I know we had some issues not too long ago with bacteria but I do believe that’s been cleared up as I haven’t seen any recent warnings

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom