Geeze, after only 20 years... (BCD)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nolatom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My Scubapro jacket-style BC is showing leaks in several places--power inflator through the housing and at the hose connection, hole in the inflator hose and the internal stainless pull wire to use it as a dump had rotted through in the middle, and a couple of other gaskets looking iffy with the shop guy saying he may not be able to find replacement ones.

My BC and I have been good friends since 1999 when I got certified, and about 250 dives since, most all in salt water. I've rinsed her, fed her fresh water and Listerine, given her a good home and this is the thanks I get? ;-)

Assuming the technician is right, I at age 70 would just as soon stay with a nice lightweight easy-travel jacket style with two pockets, nothing fancy (yeah, I know I should be cool and get a back inflate or a BP/wings but I'd rather stick with the familiar).

Anything wrong with a Cressi Strart Pro? Only $250 from Leisure Pro, and the small size should fit: Cressi Start Pro BCD

One cam band, plastic d-rings, no trim pockets, medium weight material.

I bought my Phantom BC used when I started in 05 and always rinsed it religiously, in all nooks & crannies. Still OK after almost 800 dives, though it looks like Sh!t.

I have rented Cressi's in the past and have had no issues. Currently I have a ScubaPro Knighthawk and love it. Personally, at a minimum I would try on a BCD before I bought. Fit is more critical to me then saving $50-$100. Just my 2 Canadian pennies. I would buy certain dive accessories online but not a BCD.

My ha'penny worth is a Northern Diver Guardian bcd. More like a bomb disposal jacket! But bought off eBay and dived 20 times in it no bother. Big pockets. Always sad to say goodbye to old honest trusty gear. K

Sounds like you definitely got your moneys worth outa that BC.
Why not look into getting something lightly used off eBay or Craigslist?
You might be able to find a higher dollar BC than the Cressi for the same or less money. There is a LOT of great used gear out there for pennies on the dollar sitting in storage lockers and closets.
Use it up in 10-15 years then get something else.
Recycling scuba gear is a great thing to do.

Sounds like you definitely got your moneys worth outa that BC.
Why not look into getting something lightly used off eBay or Craigslist?
You might be able to find a higher dollar BC than the Cressi for the same or less money. There is a LOT of great used gear out there for pennies on the dollar sitting in storage lockers and closets.
Use it up in 10-15 years then get something else.
Recycling scuba gear is a great thing to do.
Except.....I recently bought off SB a "unused" BCD for my wife. Decent price, but it arrived with broken weight pocket stiffners and a shoulder-strap adjustment device that broke when touched. It may have been "unused" but it certainly was not in good condition and there is no way I'd trust the bladder. My guess is it had been stored next to a furnace or some other ozone-generating device, and the plastic/rubber parts were deteriorated. My loss. The seller ignores my messages.

One cam band, plastic d-rings, no trim pockets, medium weight material.

Good points, thanks. My Scubapro is the same though, one tank band and plastic D-rings. And no Air-2 and no integrated weight pockets, easy-peasy basic rig.

I don't dive all that often or much (250 dives in 20 years is living proof) so I don't think I need something bombproof and I expect I'll be more comfortable buying new than used (though I bet there is some good stuff out there--and some not so good). And I believe my existing jacket has about 24 pounds of lift and that's always been sufficient, so I don't think I need anything "big" in that aspect.

And yes it's sad to say goodbye to a longtime reliable comfortable piece of gear, like losing a faithful dog or cat. Thanks all, for the suggestions.

Except.....I recently bought off SB a "unused" BCD for my wife. Decent price, but it arrived with broken weight pocket stiffners and a shoulder-strap adjustment device that broke when touched. It may have been "unused" but it certainly was not in good condition and there is no way I'd trust the bladder. My guess is it had been stored next to a furnace or some other ozone-generating device, and the plastic/rubber parts were deteriorated. My loss. The seller ignores my messages.
Oh man that sucks.
Sorry to hear about that.
Yeah that can happen, but there are some great deals too though. It’s a toss of the coin really. Local craigslist or garage sales where you can actually lay eyes on it and physically touch it before buying.
In the OP’s case maybe new is better after all. Saves on the drama.

That is one reason I wish there was some sort of seller rating on the board.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom