Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Our informants were both at the official meeting and are unimpeachable. In fact, we double-checked the information against the PDF from Aldora Divers too.

I have been diving Cozumel for more than 25 years; how much diving there have you done? I can assure you, despite what your "unimpeachable" informants say, that whatever is causing the blight that is affecting the hard corals in the waters off Cozumel, it isn't due to divers handling, kicking, or rubbing up against them. In all my years of diving there I have never once come into any kind of contact with a brain coral, and I have never seen another diver do it, either. I cannot say that it hasn't ever happened, but to say that all the occurrences of this disease are due to contact with divers is, as charitably as I can put it, ludicrous.

I have been diving Cozumel for more than 25 years; how much diving there have you done? I can assure you, despite what your "unimpeachable" informants say, that whatever is causing the blight that is affecting the hard corals in the waters off Cozumel, it isn't due to divers handling, kicking, or rubbing up against them. In all my years of diving there I have never once come into any kind of contact with a brain coral, and I have never seen another diver do it, either. I cannot say that it hasn't ever happened, but to say that all the occurrences of this disease are due to contact with divers is, as charitably as I can put it, ludicrous.

Not only that but if it is primarily driven by divers then why are rarely visited east side reefs just as badly affected by SCTLD?

Probably about 20 metric tons after that Lakam Ha development around Palancar is finished.
Do you have any info on this development?

So................ surveyors and topographers are out and working onshore near Ceilo, I think I smell a rat here. No boats below Palancar and no near road access from the road means no way to monitor the activities in progress. Perhaps the closure is to allow a new development in a very environmentally sensitive area without prying eyes.

So................ surveyors and topographers are out and working onshore near Ceilo, I think I smell a rat here. No boats below Palancar and no near road access from the road means no way to monitor the activities in progress. Perhaps the closure is to allow a new development in a very environmentally sensitive area without prying eyes.
That's been the popular tinfoil hat opinion on Cozumel facebook all week.

Back
Top Bottom