Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I here an action is for the benefit future generations ('the children') I know it's about money.
That would be about the last straw for us and Cozumel. (Not that they care)

Do you have any info on this development?

greg-proyecto.jpe

Page 8 of this Trip Advisor thread. No guarantee that it is factual.

Reefs Closing - Cozumel Forum - TripAdvisor

Pedro Joaquin Delbouis, the Presidente of Cozumel, issued this statement yesterday about the project you are talking about at Palancar. It asks for the population of Cozumel not to believe all the fake news that is circulating on the social websites. He says the municipality has NOT issued any permits, and has NO plans to issue any permits for that project, and that it has been turned down twice already. Here is the text of what he said:

“Hago un llamado a la población a no dejarse llevar por ‘fake news’ que circulan en redes sociales, en las que se habla de construcciones cerca de Palancar. El Ayuntamiento no ha recibido solicitud alguna de ese tipo y, es más, tengo información en el sentido de que ese proyecto ya fue rechazado anteriormente en dos ocasiones”, precisó.
Y reiteró: “Hasta el día de hoy no hay solicitud de ningún tipo”.

El munícipo subrayó que las densidades y ordenamientos para el desarrollo de esa zona no hay cambiado, de modo que, en caso de que el proyecto se ponga a consideración de la actual administración, volverán a rechazarlo porque “no hay cambios al respecto”.Pedro Joaquín enfatizó que su administración no permitirá desarrollos de gran envergadura que afecten a la naturaleza y reiteró su compromiso con el cuidado del ambiente, patente desde hace más de cinco años con acciones como el Scuba Fest, que tiene entre sus principales objetivos impulsar la protección de los mares y un planeta más verde, con la participación de Sylvia Alice Earle y Jean-Michael Cousteau.

Sobre la supuesta condonación del impuesto predial a los propietarios del terreno mencionado, indicó que, al igual que a la ciudadanía en general que quiere ponerse al día con sus impuestos municipales, se les dieron facilidades con el aval del Cabildo, pero no se les eximió del pago.

“Hago un llamado a la población a validar la información o “noticias” que circulan en redes sociales, ya que hay actores locales que están lanzando campañas de desinformación e, incluso, hicieron un llamado a bloquear el evento de Ironman, sin importar su relevancia nacional e internacional, ni que coadyuva a la economía de las familias cozumeleñas”.

“No vamos a utilizar esto para fomentar divisiones y, sobre todo, nunca vamos a atentar contra el turismo ni contra el porvenir de Cozumel. Rechacemos las medias verdades o medias mentiras”, expresó.

It's ALWAYS about the money. From previous chatter here, I suspected another cruise ship pier, but perhaps it's something else?

I am going to believe Pedro. There have been lots of proposed projects in Cozumel that never got any farther than computer generated images.

Follow the dollar trail. We'll see. What is evident is that no matter what they're planning to put there, divers come in last place.

This was on Facebook the other day

Today in Cozumel

Lots of chatter about this whole thing

and of course the link won't go to the post so here's a copy and paste:

1521599_359281344213524_431350875_n.jpg

Today in Cozumel
13 hrs ·
DETECTED GAP OPENING NEXT TO GREG SÁNCHEZ IN COZUMEL

#Cozumel #Ecocidio #Conanp #FGR #Semarnat

Conanp and FGR staff check that a new gap was opened next to Palancar, adjacent to land that is owned by the former mayor of Cancun, Gregorio Sánchez Martínez, and that have already been closed before. There is currently a request to Semarnat to develop some cabins, with access road.

... See More
Detect Gap opening next to Greg Sanchez's site in Cozumel

#Cozumel #Ecocidio #Conanp #FGR #Semarnat

Check staff of the conanp and the fgr that opened a new gap on the side of palancar, adjacent to land that are owned by the former aedile of Cancun, Gregorio Sánchez Martínez, and who have already been closed before. There is currently an application to the semarnat to develop some cabins, with access path.

Citizens of the area reported in a video recorded by themselves yesterday the open gap to the beach el cielo, about 60 meters long and one wide, which meant the cut of mangrove, protected species.

Brenda Hernández Hernández, director of the National Commission of protected natural areas (Conanp) in Cozumel, announced that they received the complaint so they coordinated with the municipal and federal authorities to visit the place.

I mentioned that they came to kilometer 18.24 of the south coastal road, finding that a topographic and geological study requested by the semarnat was being carried out, in follow to the environmental impact assessment procedure of the project of cabins, which would take by name " Ajaw - Cozumel Villas ", with key 23 qr2019td050.

However, they also discovered the new gap, parallel to a detected and closed last year, so an environmental complaint was entered.

He highlighted that this project is located in front of the dalila reef, which is why constant surveillance will be held in the area. He also ruled out that the closure of the south area of the island, with reefs like palancar, Colombia and sky, has something to do with this project, promoted by the real estate Jaguar, in a site that is outside the protected natural area.

It should be noted that already twice before Gregorio Sánchez Martínez entered projects before the semarnat to develop the land, being both rejected. First was a set of hotels and then a theme park.

On the site, suspension stamps were placed, after it was discovered that a gap was opened, without waiting for the response of the federal authority, which turned out to be negative.

The Project-ha project is currently in its public consultation period.

Although people are arguing about the reason for the closure, the fact that these dive sites have been closed is why we at Undercurrent informed our subscribers, in a brief email, and told them, if it affected them, to contact their dive operator for more information. That is all. Don't shoot the messenger. There is a full article in Undercurrent for October, about to be published any day now.

Undercurrent is not driven by advertising revenue. (... and, yes, I have been to Cozumel many times during the last 30 years. My wife was there recently. Tambien hablo castellano)

Pedro Joaquin Delbouis, the Presidente of Cozumel
Ok, I knew that San Miguel had a mayor, usually a rich one, but I wondered what jurisdiction governed the rest of the island outside of the city. I've noticed at times that the mayor seemed to have powers outside the city. I read a little about him on Wikipedia (google translated so questionable), and it seems that he is the President of the Cozumel municipality, as well as mayor of the city which is the seat of the municipality. That's different than I'm used to. He's also the nephew of the current Quintana Roo governor and son of the Mexican Ministry of Energy. I'd say that he has plenty of inside information as well as power.

I wonder what he's said about the closure? Plenty, somewhere, I bet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom