transport weights in bag, or in BC pouches, or ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tep

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Where/how do you carry your weights to your dive site?

My weight bag (was a birthday present years ago) has finally given up the ghost, should I replace it? It's an older version of this one:
XS Scuba Weight Bag
and has served me well for 10-12 years or so.

I'm trying to decide if I should replace it.

When I got it I was still tuning my weights, switching between all kinds of rental and personal cylinders - AL 80s, Steel 80, 100, 120s of various kinds, trying different weights and locations. My buoyancy was also not the best and my air consumption was all over the map. And I was in the process of losing 30 lbs.

My weights were changing almost every dive, it seemed, so it was convenient having a variety of weights at the site to choose from. I also ended up loaning weights to under-weighted visitors (meetup shore dives).

Now I'm rarely changing weights at all, 20lb with my 7mm, BC and identical steel 100s.

Should I buy a replacement, or just start loading my weight pockets with the "usual" mix at home before I throw all this stuff in the car? How do you usually get lead from home to shoreline?

Would it be cheaper to replace your weight bag or your BC pouches? That should answer your question.

I don't use a weight bag. My weights and pouches live in my car. Before a dive, as I'm loading up my car, I load my pouches with the proper weight. At the site I put them in the bottom of my cart, along with my tanks and then other gear on top. At the end of a dive I take my pouches out of my BC and put them back in the cart. Back at the car I unzip them and dump out my weights onto the deck of my hatchback. They stay there and dry out (soft weights) until the next time I go diving. Then I repeat the process.

For times when I gear up at my car, then I just pop them into my BCD and head out from there.

Farmer john on aided by plastic bags on feet or not, pull up until waist
bags off, booties with heavy soles on
BFH on thigh
full.jpg

or BFK
full.jpg

pocket weight belt, with mesh bags and interesting stuff for interesting finds inside
full.jpg

with half of weights, on waist
top half of john down over belt
home assembled bc with other half of weights, tank regs with 5ft primary, no secondary, no airII, stand rig up
NEVER A PONY, for lithesomeness
mask and light fingerless elasticised work-garden gloves in fins
fins with rubber straps hooked over valve and regs with fin strap routed
through hose mask strap and other fin so they can't jump off or out
bc on
wetsuit jacket hung over bc chest strap with big water bottle stuffed upside down in

all dressing conducted at rear of wagon or ute

and definitely no boxers or shorts under wetsuit, what happens with that

and definitely no "reaching out "
full.jpg

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha to zip your wetsuit ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

weights are split so if gear off underwater the weight on belt will keep you from surfacing
unless you choose to do so

Quick march!

for 5-20 metre deep, off in the distance shore dives or not so distant piers and stuff

and NO talking as by the time you get there you will be out of breath
and it will be time to go back

Reactions: Doc
Red Deer RUGGED Mechanics Tool Bag Heavy Duty Canvas Design https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072YZ3RDD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_g55KDb6YSWF3C

Weight bag. Inexpensive canvas alternative linked above. Minimize stress on bcd and mesh bag.

I use one of those, except it's got Home Depot's or Lowe's house brand on it.

Harbor Freight has a selection, including a $10 canvas cheapie that should work: Tool Bags - Harbor Freight Tools

I assume you are talking boat dives (shore diving my weights and all equipment is set to go in the car - other than attaching the reg of course).
I carry my weights onto the boat in a large sturdy mesh bag, and not in their pouches (in case something is dropped and a buckle may break, etc.). Leaving the boat I'm not as fussy and leave them in the pouches since they're just going to my car.

My nephew carries them for me. I think in his pockets. His problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom