Scubapro Wings Quality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iratherbediving

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello, I am looking to buy my first BPW setup and the Scubapro wings got my attention. I grew up diving scubapro gear so I am a little biased; my dad had a classic BCD that worked flawlessly for 30 years if not more.

I am looking at "Scubapro X-Tek Donut Wing Single Tank 30 Lbs" which has the following in the description:
Outer Shell:
Strong and Durable 1680-Denier Ballistic Nylon
Maximum Abrasion Resistance
Bladder:
Durable 420-Denier Nylon
Superior Puncture Resistance

Unfortunately, there is no shop in town that have them in stock, so I can't check them out myself. My question is if the quality of these wings is better than others in any way. I have in mind the finish/feel of a hydros wing or classic BCD and think those are very durable, would the Scubapro wing be similar?

I had the opportunity to check other wings, with what I think were urethane bladders, and they didn't seem too high quality for me, but I am no expert and might very well be wrong.

Other wings I am considering: oxycheq, dive rite, apeks

I am probably going to use it with a deluxe-type harness and for Socal and some vacation diving (hoping 30lbs serves me well as an all-around wing)

Any recommendations regarding quality, warranty, performance, etc. welcome.

Thanks!

similar specs to the vdh argonaut. it is a decent wing, but I wouldn't say it is anything special. on paper, it should be a bit tougher than the DGX wing, but costs significantly more at msrp. The PSD version of the apeks wings is unique and different.

WTX-D30 PSD Single Cylinder Wing

I own and regularly dive the same wing but the 40lb. It is well built but expensive. My only real complaint is the corrugated hose could be a little longer but that’s a cheap fix.

I believe the ScubaPro wings used non-standard fittings for the OPV and hoses. Just something to keep in mind.

I believe the ScubaPro wings used non-standard fittings for the OPV and hoses. Just something to keep in mind.
This is true. I have a 40lb and a 60lb Scubapro wing. They are nice wings. The elbow on the Scubapro isn't as tight of radius as on my Halcyon Evolve.

I have that exact wing and I am very happy with it. The shell is definitely up there in toughness.

I bought it as an X-Tek Pure package with SS backplate, the single wing, STA and hog harness. I use the normal inflator assembly (not the X-Tek version) and it all works as intended from day one.

Why bother with a 'deluxe' harness? Keep it simple with a single piece of webbing and a couple of D rings where you need them, I never thought it is uncomfortable, unless you go naked?

Yes, I have a BC that has a small leak on the inflator elbow, and I have not been able to correct, just because I am not willing to take it to a sp dealer to resolve.

similar specs to the vdh argonaut. it is a decent wing, but I wouldn't say it is anything special. on paper, it should be a bit tougher than the DGX wing, but costs significantly more at msrp. The PSD version of the apeks wings is unique and different.

WTX-D30 PSD Single Cylinder Wing

Thank you had not considered DGX wings, will take a closer look. The apeks PSD is probably too much for what I am going to use it for, hard to justify the extra $. Looks awesome though

The VDH looks nice. Bladder is urethane. Generally speaking, are nylon bladders (like the scubapro) better or more durable?

I own and regularly dive the same wing but the 40lb. It is well built but expensive. My only real complaint is the corrugated hose could be a little longer but that’s a cheap fix.

This is true. I have a 40lb and a 60lb Scubapro wing. They are nice wings. The elbow on the Scubapro isn't as tight of radius as on my Halcyon Evolve.

Thanks for pointing this out! So far my plan is to pair the wing with an Atomic SS1, so this could very well turn into a bit of a pain, i.e. the mix of shorter hose and non-standard fittings

Yes, I have a BC that has a small leak on the inflator elbow, and I have not been able to correct, just because I am not willing to take it to a sp dealer to resolve.

So I started looking for BCDs for me and my son and, because of my experience with their gear, was kind of sold to the Scubapro Hydros and trying to get Scubapro "parts for life". Then got kind of frustrated at whole program (if you miss a reg service by a month your are out, etc.) and realized BPW was the way to go, plus they are way more adjustable and I am also looking to buy a kit for my son.

I have that exact wing and I am very happy with it. The shell is definitely up there in toughness.

I bought it as an X-Tek Pure package with SS backplate, the single wing, STA and hog harness. I use the normal inflator assembly (not the X-Tek version) and it all works as intended from day one.

Why bother with a 'deluxe' harness? Keep it simple with a single piece of webbing and a couple of D rings where you need them, I never thought it is uncomfortable, unless you go naked?

My first thought was to get a transpac, then a transplate... at this rate probably I am going to buy and single-webbing harnesses :) right now I am trying to figure out the best fit for my son as far as plate sizes, aluminum vs SS, etc. Lots of great threads... spending a lot of time reading

Don't have plans to go naked! but seems like you may be speaking from experience and I should not try that lol

just started looking at Hollis gear... looks great, but also read a review saying their corrugated hoses are on the shorter side

At the same time I am liking the idea of supporting smaller companies that make quality gear and are not owned by big corporations, I think DGX, VDH, Oxychem, and DR will fall in this category... but that's probably a topic for a separate thread

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom