18650 batteries: what's your go to

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i've seen ppl just carry a separate light for video and switch to that when videoing

Switch as in... clip off primary light, turn it off? and then deploy video light? Or use both at once? Video light attached to helmet maybe?? LOL I am trying to imagine what the procedure would be.

ha, yeah- just clip off the primary and switch to video light and switch off the primary. the handheld video lights are plenty bright

I ordered a few of the PANASONIC NCR18650B from liionwholesale based on some comments you made. Also got a Nitecore i4 charger for $20 off of Amazon. Will toss my old stuff.

Currently my primary light is a Big Blue VTL6300P but not liking the proprietary battery. I like how it switches between spot and wide or video mode. I like the video mode for filming. Debating getting a different primary light (canister) but not sure how to illuminate for video since most primary lights are spot only. Not sure what brand of primary light to get. I have a bunch of DiveRite gear.

the diffusers work, but they do take away a bunch of lumens. and yes they work on non DR lights as long as it will fit over the head. Not recommended to use unless you have to though.

The question on whether you need a new light is up to you. You say you don't like proprietary batteries, but most everyone uses proprietary batteries, including the EX35 you asked about. The exception being the handheld dive rites that use 18650's.

So the questions are why do you need video lights, how much light do you need, you know you really need 2x video lights for shadows right?, why do you think you need a canister at all, i.e. how long are your dives, there's a few others, but you need to answer those first.

After that, it helps narrow down the options.

Thanks.

Just as an aside, someone posted a review on dgx's page for the DR light diffuser saying that it worked well on an UWLD light head. I asked dgx if it would work on the LM 32 watt head, they said it wouldn't fit.

What is your go-to small/cheap light? Is there anything worthwhile that is really cheap like under $25?
In 18650, DGX 600 is $55, though the beam is wide at 10 degrees. It's my, OW, primary.

For OW backup
: DGX 300 is $30. Uses 14500 or AA battery, so it is small. 300 lumens. 30 minutes at full output, then fades. 3.6 x 0.8 x 0.7 in. I like it as my backup. DGX 300 Mini Light Kit | Dive Gear Express®
Orcatorch D560 is similar size, same battery and emitter for $40. Different output claims. I don't have one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom