Which certifications necessary in your experience for various recreational dives across the world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the UK, it’s not common to rent a drysuit.

You will need proof of Nitrox training to get Nitrox fills.

I have been asked to prove that I had an AOW for a dive under OW limit.

I never heard of someone asking you a drift dive card here.

The thing is that some of these cards don’t have an equivalent specialty training for BSAC
The drysuit thing is the only reliable one. Every time I have had a student rent one they have been asked for a card and I have to show my instructor card as they are being trained. Of course you can buy a suit without a card.

Inland sites are most likely to ask for cards. Boats don’t. You can do a 80m trimix dive without showing anyone a card. Generally, everyone is assumed to be an adult.

If anyone attempted to show a drift diving card to a skipper, I think the skipper would assume it was home made and part of an elaborate joke.

Some dive ops in French Polynesia like to see CMAS 2 (PADI rescue =) but I dove there with PADI AOW and experience. This was for depth. I did talk to them about current diving in Cozumel and I did not have any issues. Nowhere else (caribbean and So pacific) have I had issues with cert orgs or levels (drift, night, depth but still rec limits).

I've heard of tech instructors with only warm water experience being denied charters here. Obviously not because of certification level, but it's something to be aware of for those with limited environmental experience. Jumping from warm clear water in a swim skin to cold murky water in a drysuit is allegedly humbling.

PADI hasn't tried to cash in with a "Cold Water Diver" specialty yet, but it really is different.

Perhaps I am an outlier because of my dive history, experience, and currency, but I have never been restricted from any recreational dive I wanted to do, in any location I have visited, despite carrying just an OW and Nitrox card. I am sure I will eventually run into some dive op that demands an AOW cert, at which time I will just find another dive op that will look at my dive history, medical clearance letter, my dive equipment that I always bring, talk to me, and then take me diving.

Other than occasionally being asked for nitrox or advanced nitrox certification when getting various nitrox or deco gas fills at shops I don't normally frequent, I don't think I've ever had to show anything other than OW certification with one exception. Many of the LDS organized trips that I went on early in my dive "career" (more than 2 decades ago!) required specialty certification. Of course you could sign up for the "wreck diver", or "deep diver", or "insert other specialty course". Even then it was obviously a means to help the instructors afford the trips, but since a discount on rental gear came with a course, it was often pretty much a break-even proposition until I acquired all of my own gear.

I do know my LDS wants to see proof of training before they rent dry suits to customers (I never personally experienced this requirement because I bought a dry suit & a textbook before I ever took a course, and then just figured it out on my own). It does seem like a sensible requirement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom