Pulmonary Barotrauma with Short Interval Shallow Freedives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

‘Tis only a flesh wound.

Well... in a 15C pool I would not be screaming bloody murder myself because you'd never get me into one in the first place.

Seriously though this does sound very much like text book SIPE. Whereas breathholding dives to 4 m sound very unlike "lung squeeze": AFAIK you need to go about 10 times deeper, there's just not enough pressure at 4 m to cause any problems in a healthy lung.

So researching SIPE produced more information on IPE. SIPE is IPE as it relates to swimming. Interestingly I found another entry where IPE is shown to include the possibility of chest pain. And again very similar symptoms to PBT with the pink frothy sputum.

I see the doc tomorrow. This is one really mysterious condition. My breathing right now is comfortable and no crackles, raspyness or shortness of breath. I'm impressed with the lungs ability to cope with such a nasty thing to have happened.

If you see the Komodo Dragon with the thick clear sputum dripping from it's mouth. That's how I looked exiting the pool while coughing up a lung. So I am no longer leaning one way or the other. It could be IPE or it could be PBT.

QUOTE="dmaziuk, post: 8776264, member: 459388"]Try SIPE in triathletes, apparently 10% report "chest tightness". They're iron men, perhaps their "tightness" is what we call "pain".[/QUOTE]

Saw my primary physician today. She took a listen to my lungs with stethoscope. She could not find any abnormality. I feel the same as before the injury happened. That is what I mean by how mysterious this condition is.

I will cautiously reintroduce swimming. Diving can hold off for quite awhile. I do realize that whatever happened could have turned out very badly.

Saw my primary physician today. She took a listen to my lungs with stethoscope. She could not find any abnormality. I feel the same as before the injury happened. That is what I mean by how mysterious this condition is.

I will cautiously reintroduce swimming. Diving can hold off for quite awhile. I do realize that whatever happened could have turned out very badly.
glad to hear everything seems okay!

^^^^ Thank you. I'm not out of the woods yet. Need to check my response to diving when I get back to it. So this episode is documented for future reference. While this is rare for other than deep apnea diving it's something to look out for.

It sounds to me like an IPE too. You should get a complete cardiac workup by a hyperbaric aware cardiologist. DAN can probably recommend one.

What criteria would have you lean to IPE over PBT?

It sounds to me like an IPE too. You should get a complete cardiac workup by a hyperbaric aware cardiologist. DAN can probably recommend one.

Tonight I got back in the pool. Just did a surface swim around the perimeter with mask, snorkel and fins. Did about 1/6 kilometer this time. Did not have a feeling of fluid in the lungs. No raspyness. On the last lap made one descent and back up.

That gave me an uneasy feeling but I did not hear anything with my breathing. May have experienced a bit less stamina than before the earlier episode. One hour post and yes there is the slightest bit of discomfort. Won't do any more descents for awhile. I hesitate to put on my 7 mil wetsuit. But it's not out of the question.

If I can make a descent with the wetsuit and not experience a problem then I know all I need to know about the cold being a factor.

Tonight I got back in the pool. Just did a surface swim around the perimeter with mask, snorkel and fins. Did about 1/6 kilometer this time. Did not have a feeling of fluid in the lungs. No raspyness. On the last lap made one descent and back up.

That gave me an uneasy feeling but I did not hear anything with my breathing. May have experienced a bit less stamina than before the earlier episode. One hour post and yes there is the slightest bit of discomfort. Won't do any more descents for awhile. I hesitate to put on my 7 mil wetsuit. But it's not out of the question.

If I can make a descent with the wetsuit and not experience a problem then I know all I need to know about the cold being a factor.

When did you last have your heart checked? I ask because of something that I read earlier that said a sign of heart problems is a cough that produces pink froth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom