Scubapro mk17evo or Apeks MTX-R

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dreamer17

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hi everyone! I want to buy a new first stage for a winter gear set and am somewhat undecime between these two:
-Scubapro MK17EVO
-Apeks MTX-R
I've heard good things regarding durability and cold water use. Has anyone used them and can give me their opinion?
I know the price isn't on the same level, but thats not an aspect I'm worried about as much as performance.
thank you

I can only help you halfway by saying that I would buy the MK17 Evo again in a heartbeat. I use it with the S620Ti, albeit in temperate to warm water, and it works a charm.

FWIW the MK17 is not very well balanced, I've owned a few of them and they can swing as mush as 15psi IIRC. If using a balanced second stage, as long as it's not tuned to the edge, it will likely be no problem, but I'd never pair one with an unbalanced second. The Apeks in contrast only swing a few psi. I sold all my MK17 Evos and now only dive Apeks FSR first stages. Save the terrible balancing of the MK17, performance wise you'd notice no difference. I think the FSR is a better first stage overall as compared to the MTX for ST BM.

FWIW the MK17 is not very well balanced, I've owned a few of them and they can swing as mush as 15psi IIRC. If using a balanced second stage, as long as it's not tuned to the edge, it will likely be no problem, but I'd never pair one with an unbalanced second. The Apeks in contrast only swing a few psi. I sold all my MK17 Evos and now only dive Apeks FSR first stages. Save the terrible balancing of the MK17, performance wise you'd notice no difference. I think the FSR is a better first stage overall as compared to the MTX for ST BM.
Why do you say the FSR is better?
From what I read MTX is super rugged and tested for navy diving standards

I’ve used the MTX-R beneath the ice. Not the easiest breather but almost no chance of freezing up. I would never dive it in warm water. Would be like sucking syrup compared to a MK17 in warm water. For me the cost of the service kit (>$40) for the Mk17 is a major no-no. Are you going to be diving in freezing waters?

I dove the MK17 with the C370 and S600 second stages that were finely tuned to the edge and have had no issues at all down to 50 meters.

hi everyone! I want to buy a new first stage for a winter gear set and am somewhat undecime between these two:
-Scubapro MK17EVO
-Apeks MTX-R
I've heard good things regarding durability and cold water use. Has anyone used them and can give me their opinion?
I know the price isn't on the same level, but thats not an aspect I'm worried about as much as performance.
thank you

Why only the two...

The attached will out-do either...and at considerable savings...diaphragm/cold water/balanced/environmentally sealed/better hose routing options...simpler service with less parts...

I swear by it...have for years...DGX house brand Deep Six...the best $150. you'll ever spend on a first stage regulator...

Best...

Warren...

DGX House Brand First.jpg

I’ve used the MTX-R beneath the ice. Not the easiest breather but almost no chance of freezing up. I would never dive it in warm water. Would be like sucking syrup compared to a MK17 in warm water. For me the cost of the service kit (>$40) for the Mk17 is a major no-no. Are you going to be diving to close to freezing waters?
I think the coldest will be around 40

I dive both (2 1st and 2nd stages of each brand). MK17 very nice breathing, MTX breaths harder but has the 5th port which is nice for doubles. Both are very reliable and I have never had any problems with any of them . Not even in near freezing waters and freezing air temperatures.Can't say I prefer one or the other, they're just different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom