Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This government takes environmental laws and Cozumel's environment seriously.

That is absolute BS. It is all about $ and it always has been. I'm not one to stick my nose in another country's business where I am a guest but if you ever have the chance to chat with an old local who doesn't own a smart phone (their kids certainly do) they will tell you how their island has gone to crap and how all the promises made with the building of the cruise ports years ago were not fulfilled.

My (private) email to you was as follows:
Hi again Rick,
Thanks for getting in touch. It’s a tough problem and we are pleased to hear from you. While we appreciate the short-term commercial implications for dive centers based in Cozumel, our remit is to inform our subscribers. The short-term nature of the notification of the closure of parts of the Marine Park meant that we had to get information out quickly to those of our subscribers that might have been affected by it.

Our informants were both at the official meeting and are unimpeachable. In fact, we double-checked the information against the PDF from Aldora Divers too.

A more detailed summary of the closure, and reasons for it, will be published in the October issue of Undercurrent (presently in production).

Maybe "semi-private" email now...

That is absolute BS. It is all about $ and it always has been. I'm not one to stick my nose in another country's business where I am a guest but if you ever have the chance to chat with an old local who doesn't own a smart phone (their kids certainly do) they will tell you how their island has gone to crap and how all the promises made with the building of the cruise ports years ago were not fulfilled.

Haha! Graduado IS an old local and has more knowledge of Cozumel inside and out in his pinky finger than most. Certainly more than anyone else I know.

Maybe "semi-private" email now...

I did apologize for that. I figure news publications were kinda public.

Hosting a meeting right now to hear from anyone that wants to defend Undercurrent. So far no takers. Anyone that truly knows Cozumel knows where to find me.

upload_2019-10-3_21-25-6.jpeg

Jefe, your unimpeachable source for Cozumel news...
upload_2019-10-3_21-25-50.png
upload_2019-10-3_21-25-50.jpeg

I did apologize for that. I figure news publications were kinda public.

Hosting a meeting right now to hear from anyone that wants to defend Undercurrent. So far no takers. Anyone that truly knows Cozumel knows where to find me.

View attachment 543309

Jefe, your unimpeachable source for Cozumel news... View attachment 543311View attachment 543310

Rock in Java really serves breakfast for lunch?? I don't pay attention much at all and always order a burger, I crave some breakfast food, Casa Mexicana every now and then fits too.

Rock in Java really serves breakfast for lunch?? I don't pay attention much at all and always order a burger, I crave some breakfast food, Casa Mexicana every now and then fits too.

Yes! Look under valuable real Coz news. Breakfast all day at Rocken Java!

You know the buffet breakfast at Casa Mexicana is both good and economical. More Coz news you can use.

Hosting a meeting right now to hear from anyone that wants to defend Undercurrent.
Quite a number of people spend money to gain insight from Undercurrent. I do not see anyone with you at your table. Perhaps there's a conclusion to be drawn there somehow.

Haha! Graduado IS an old local and has more knowledge of Cozumel inside and out in his pinky finger than most. Certainly more than anyone else I know.

Dear Christi,

I know, like and respect Ric and have for some time but doubt he has inspected the toilets down south.

Yes, the Government talks the good talk about the environment, and actually enforce some pretty serious rules AT TIMES. But over and over during my 27 years here I have seen those rules overlooked or ignored when the rich and powerful are involved.

And as far as general environmental activism is concerned, the appearance of action is the norm—whether it makes any sense or not. Like this park closure.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

And the appearance of action can take the attention off of what the attention should really be on.

I hope someone will make it a point to watch what is going on in that area from October 7th - December 15th. Illegal mangrove removal has already happened to create a path. What's next?

I was told this closure was going to probably going to be a year - anyone know the truth of that statement?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom