Manado/Bunaken/Bangka?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Komodo there are 2 resorts out in the islands, nearer to the dive site than downtown LBJ :
- Komodo Resort which has nice snorkeling, not sure of the beach at low tide though but it's a good diving resort (check out Bill's report on Indonesia board)
- Angel isle which is on the lovely beach of Bidadari, which is a mix of a beach/diving resort. Expensive though.

As for photos you can make tell whatever you want (I do a lot of UW photography, sometimes published).
Be aware Mandarin dives are not really spectacular often boring and the western side of Bangka is NOT the interesting side. The dive best area is around the southeast bay near to the small Sahaung islets.
If you want to see good sized Bumpheads and Napoleons, Sahaung is one of the sites to dive.
Blue ring octopus is seasonal and more often encountered at nighttime.
House reef in Gangga is meh, Murex and around is good, Bastianos was great (before the building of the resort, I don't know how it is now).

Gangga beaches are hardly swimmable while Murex is small but clear and pleasant, my non diving wife prefers Murex' .
Anyway I guess you are not going to Bangka only for the sake of the beach only otherwise check out Koh Lipe southwest of Thailand and you'll get your share of REALLY nice beaches.

Thanks Luko, I'll look up those resorts in Komodo.

Thanks for reminding me of Koh Lipe, I was told about that one when I was in Koh Lanta 3 years ago but forgot to research, perfect for my Mrs too! Just hope Hin Daeng or PP/other comparable cheap and cheerful diving still doable from there for me.

Thanks for the tip on southeastern sites for the bumpheads and napoleons. Bastianos would be closer than Gangga Island Resort for that but Gangga tell me they do still go to Sahaung 1&2 and their article says west side of Bangka can see giant frog fish, blue ribbon eels and pelagics including sharks and there is a B-21 bomber wreck at 28m! Wonder if anyone seen?

upload_2019-10-4_12-13-8.png

Soft coral covered pinnacles, canyons and swim throughs in Bangka sound very nice too. Where are the best sites for those in your opinion?

I could dive Sahaung everyday.

Woah, Angel Island Resort is $300/night and Komodo Resort is $500/night, accom only!!!

I could dive Sahaung everyday.
Same same here... Sahaung (Bangka), Deacon's Reef (Tawali PNG), Batu Bolong (Komodo) and Pescador (Moalboal PI). These are the coral reefs I could dive everyday.

But since we're speaking of Sahaung....

17167180209_792623aeab_z.jpg

16730901944_ccbc76f2e2_z.jpg

16963395460_b9ab0bbbcf_z.jpg

7433921524_2c7a8c7083_z.jpg

6226518290_8a03d15fc3_z.jpg

6226333853_668409c1fe_z.jpg

7181414129_72ff2c496f_z.jpg

7954404586_099794b2c7_z.jpg

All of the reefs you listed Luko + Mermaid Wall Rowley Shoals. Also very partial to Mayhem, Chicken & Blue Magic reefs. Ningaloo of course too.

Glad I bought a wideangle wetty (Inon UWL H-100 for my little Pana LX10 1")! Can't wait to try it out with those colours!

How does Bangka compare to Raja Ampat? Those pics of Sahaung look like what I'd expect at Raja...?

Glad I bought a wideangle wetty (Inon UWL H-100 for my little Pana LX10 1")! Can't wait to try it out with those colours!

be aware two powerful strobe are necessary as well .
( .... and remember anyway Luko is a PRO .... )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom