BP/W setup - Galvanic corrosion and how to avoid it

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daniel M. Thomas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi divers.

I am in the process of building an aluminium Backplate rig with a primary use of travel diving. I have found an aluminium backplate and single tank adapter, but I'm having trouble finding a compatible bolt to attach the two together that won't cause Galvanic corrosion. Any ideas?

I am planning to buy:

Halcyon harness kit
OMS Aluminium backplate
Xdeep ultralight Single tank adapter

Open to the idea of buying different items to avoid this problem

Have you thought of getting a small zinc, sacrificial anode, to attach to the plate?

Bob

Have you thought of getting a small zinc, sacrificial anode, to attach to the plate?

Bob
Has anyone actually done this? Totally makes sense if it can be done in a practical manner.

I don’t think you’ll be in the water long enough to cause noticeable galvanic corrosion, use stainless steel bolts and rinse thoroughly.

Why not remove the STA after use. The galvanic reaction of dissimilar metals between AL and stainless is a pretty slow process. If your that concerned about it remove the bolts between use. The few hours a year the bolts are touching the AL plate should be a non issue. I’m not an engineer but do install stainless bolts to Al in costal Louisiana, and while not being submerged in salt water, after 9+ years I have not seen any noticeable corrosion. Is the plate anodized?

+1 on "just unbolt it" between trips. My body will be corroded to uselessness before my AL backplate has any issues.

However, being OCD myself, I am fully sympathetic to making it "PERFECT!". Many camera housings have little zinc anodes. Perhaps one of those would work. West Marine also has some small ones.

Back
Top Bottom