Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am certain they don't believe the reef will restore itself in 2 months - that is not the point. The point is to give it a break and to get some procedures in place - there are some things falling together behind the scenes.

Dear Christy,

With all due respect, the only break will be for the Lion Fish.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Don't know where that came from - it was NEVER anywhere published or spoken that it would be a year. It was originally 90 days but has now been shortened to about 75ish days

Thanks. I was chatting with a fellow dive buddy who was planning to go. IDK where he heard it.

My guess is they misinterpreted closed until next year as closed for a year

I think the point is that you can't trust what the council will do when they make abrupt decisions and changes in decisions. I hope the recent decision to re-open in December is sincere and not just to calm people down and get them to book trips for high season only to reverse the decision in early December. After all, everyone knows that two months closure isn't going to cure or regenerate the reef. Coral doesn't grow like grass.

I agree with this, I won't be scheduling a Cozumel trip until they either show that they aren't going to do this again, or set a process that has more than two weeks notice. Changing things on a moments notice shows that they don't care about the divers, their money, and the businesses that serve them. It is unfortunate that the dive companies will suffer, but I'm not willing to put down by money until they show me that when I show up that I won't find the places I want to visit are closed.

Interesting thread. It would be enlightening to understand what type of dive site closures other destinations imposed. If any...

I believe Bonaire does rotating closures of Klein Bonaire sites, but have no idea how many or for how long.

Could this become the new norm?

Over 400 dives in Cozumel and the most damage I've ever seen done to the reef was done by a turtle. Wish I had it on video but I was so amazed at the level of destruction I was witnessing that I never thought of recording it. It gnawed and gnawed at the base of about a 5' tall coral with all its strength (front flippers firmly planted for leverage) until it finally toppled over like a tree... It wanted to eat the white interior inside the base of it. As soon as it toppled over fish came rocketing in from everywhere eating all the scraps while the turtle gorged on the white interior of the base. I've never seen a diver do such a level destruction to the reef.
It was most likely a Hawksbill Sea Turtle. Their diet consists of sponges. The 5' "coral" you saw the turtle eating was probably a Barrel Sponge. Yummmmm

It was most likely a Hawksbill Sea Turtle. Their diet consists of sponges. The 5' "coral" you saw the turtle eating was probably a Barrel Sponge. Yummmmm

Yeah, you're right some kind of sponge given the chewy white interior as I don't see a turtle taking down a stony coral. I was looking for the 1 photo I took of it after it had toppled but I think I deleted it as it was photobombed by all the fish that swarmed in. I remember a pair of Grey Angels were very interested and just hanging out waiting and watching while the turtle gnawed away at the base so they obviously knew this was going to be something special and, as they displayed a learned behavior, they've obviously experienced this over and over and over again. When it toppled they and seemingly every other fish in proximity swarmed the site for the scraps the turtle let go as it was feasting. Must be something tasty inside those sponges (as far as marine life is concerned).

...by reading all the conspiracy theories concerning this project pushed by this forum, it also seems to me that my continued posting of valid info about the situation will not do any good. It is very disheartening to see these theories posted over and over by folks that don't know what's going on, but only follow rumors posted on social media.
It reminds me of my feelings on The Subject That Shall Not Be Mentioned. :D

I leave for Cozumel Tuesday for a week diving. I've been all over Planacar and Columbia numerous times so I won't be missing much. I plan to make the most of wherever I dive.
[Edited by Moderator]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom