BPW for 11yo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iratherbediving

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello... trying to get my boy his first BPW, just starting to dive.

- He is 70lbs, about 4ft tall.
- Will be doing lake diving in Arizona, Socal diving, and some vacation diving.
- I anticipate wearing 7mil wetsuits most of the time

I am trying to get him gear he can grow into but do not want to compromise his ability to dive comfortably by getting him gear that's too large. Plus I have a younger boy that may potentially use the smaller gear later on.

My main questions are:
- Would a standard-sized backplate work for him? or do I need to look for a smaller plate? right now I am leaning toward aluminum or Dive Rite SS Lite for ease of travel
- Would a 30lb wing work or be too big?

Have very limited local options that sale BPWs to take a look first hand.

Thanks!
-

a small sized backplate would be better. unfortunately those cost more because they aren't made in large volumes. can try a soft plate like the oxycheq travel plate as an alternative. a 30lb wing is likely too big also. the 24lb zeagle wing is a relatively compact and short wing that may work well. otherwise, try any of the other smaller wings under 25lbs.

another way to go would be a mexico style sidemount harness.

Standard size plate is going to likely be too long. I’m 5’5” and a regular plate is too long for me. Halcyon and Oxycheq make short plates. Dive Rite also has the TransPac which is a soft plate. It comes in women’s sizes, so maybe that’s an option.

Brilliance is what happens when you look past the end of the street
That stuff looks so good I might get a kid somewhere and get some

Thank you all for your input. Will likely go with either the Oxycheq fabric/travel plate or a transpac

Halcyon makes a small plate. I have one with an 18lb Oxycheq wing for my 9yo son. There aren't slots in the small plate so you need a single tank adapter.

Halcyon makes a small plate. I have one with an 18lb Oxycheq wing for my 9yo son. There aren't slots in the small plate so you need a single tank adapter.
Thanks... do you know if there are any pads for small backplates?

What type of harness do you use for your son? Single webbing?

Back
Top Bottom