GBR vs Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
On several recent threads here, some alarmists have referred to the Great Barrier Reef as "near dead" if not already dead, and predicted the same for Cozumel. I decided to investigate as best I could and found the best source of information to be the Australian Government's Great Barrier Reef Protection Authority's 2019 Annual Report. That can be found at GBRMPA.gov.au

In that report I gleaned that the Reef is indeed alive and still a thriving environment. However, just like most authorities they identify the "threats" posed by climate change and runoff from land. Not one mention of divers kicking the reef!

So, lets apply the same concern to Cozumel. First off, we, just like the Aussies can do very little about climate change (even though we have zero evidence in Cozumel) but we can do something about the sewage run off—which I truly believe to be the biggest threat to Cozumel Reefs.

Closing to divers is one of the most brain dead options imaginable-- if that were the case spearing every last parrot fish would be a more sensible. But when the smelly evidence is right there before us in the southern resorts we should be able to do something realistic as opposed to giving "the appearance" of a fix.

PS The local government is not bound by park rules but I am sure that if this "NEW" crew has the authority on land, and the will…they can. Just takes (what is the Spanish word for Eggs?)

WAKE UP COZUMEL

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom