Accumulated 02 following a large number of repetitive Nitrox dives over 3 days.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've learned a lot in this thread as well, though perhaps still not enough. Aston wants to continue diving aggressively (with which I have no particular problem) but I'm confused as to why he isn't going to change his PPO2 to 1.4. Why dive 1.6 anticipating alarms only to ignore them?

Have I missed a point that would be important to me personally? I dive Oceanics at 1.4 and have been known to do some aggressive diving though on a liveaboard.
Accumulated 02 following a large number of repetitive Nitrox dives over 3 days.

I've learned a lot in this thread as well, though perhaps still not enough. Aston wants to continue diving aggressively (with which I have no particular problem) but I'm confused as to why he isn't going to change his PPO2 to 1.4. Why dive 1.6 anticipating alarms only to ignore them?

Have I missed a point that would be important to me personally? I dive Oceanics at 1.4 and have been known to do some aggressive diving though on a liveaboard.
I dive my Oceanic at 1.6 also. I don't want it beeping at me as I approach 1.4 PPO2. The only effect of changing that number is where it beeps at. Setting it to 1.6 avoids alarms that I'm going to ignore anyway.. At 1.6 I want to be paying attention, at least.

The 3 Saturday morning dives were 8:15 am, 10:07 am, and 11:54 am.

The 3 Saturday afternoon dives were 5:00 pm, 6:30 pm, and 7:40 pm.

Sunday morning dives were 7:40am and 9:30 am.
These are serious dives, very close together with really little surface interval, especially considering the depths and times. I am amazed that your computer even let you back in the water after the first two Saturday dives (assuming what you said that the times given were bottom times, not dive times).

By the way, a friend did some very aggressive deep dives on the wreck of the aircraft carrier HMS Hermes in Sri Lanka and he ended up being affected by the high oxygen levels used on deco so that he no longer needed to use reading glasses for about four weeks after the end of the diving.

These are serious dives, very close together with really little surface interval, especially considering the depths and times. I am amazed that your computer even let you back in the water after the first two Saturday dives (assuming what you said that the times given were bottom times, not dive times).

By the way, a friend did some very aggressive deep dives on the wreck of the aircraft carrier HMS Hermes in Sri Lanka and he ended up being affected by the high oxygen levels used on deco so that he no longer needed to use reading glasses for about four weeks after the end of the diving.

A friend of mine claimed his eyesight improved after a liveaboard trip.

OK so this has been a blast to read, but inquiring minds want to know...

What do you plan to do to monitor your O2 tox the next time you do "3 days of concentrated EAN diving"?

Nothing. As per the posts on this thread which have clearly proven my Oceanic's 02 warning can be ignored + the fact that I'm sitting here typing this response with apparently no ill effects from the experience and my dive buddy (same experience as me) is doing just as well.

...or not. Firearms are another pursuit for which ignoring safety rules is perilous:

Blank Pistol Kills Actor, The Son of Bruce Lee
Ok your Brandon Lee blanks in pistol analogy beats my blanks in pistol analogy. :surrender:

I am amazed that your computer even let you back in the water after the first two Saturday dives (assuming what you said that the times given were bottom times, not dive times).

My apologies. The times I provided in the first post were total dive times- from the moment my computer activated upon entry to the water until within 4' of the surface.

Perhaps I'm confused in this regard but it is my understanding that setting my P02 to 1.6 allows me to use a richer EAN mix for a given depth, thus extending my NDL bottom limits and/or shortening my surface intervals. And yes, because I am diving a more aggressive P02 setting I will probably stay longer at depth and thus run my 02 exposure higher than I would have at P02 1.4 but so what? No harm done, longer dives with less depth restriction, and in the end it's all good.

I turn off ALL audio alarms on my computer- they're so freaking annoying. The only downside of hitting the 02 limit on the Oceanic is that I no longer have a digital display as to exactly how many minutes of dive time I have remaining (obviously it reads ZERO), in regard to NDLs or gas remaining.

I turn off ALL audio alarms on my computer- they're so freaking annoying. The only downside of hitting the 02 limit on the Oceanic is that I no longer have a digital display as to exactly how many minutes of dive time I have remaining (obviously it reads ZERO), in regard to NDLs or gas remaining.
This guy is either an idiot or a troll. I suspect the latter.

Hey, tell the rest if the story! Air? Single tank?
Checking their profile, that’s unlikely...

Those are not the only two possibilities. Think outside the box, you can do this. :cool:

Furthemore they're not mutually exclusive :whistling:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom