Utilus Valve Replacement, Tips Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wewing1

Registered
Reaction score
I have new valves on the way for my 98 Utilus. What should I watch out for?

1.The manual says to lube(anti-seize) the valves, I am assuming they are referring to the threaded portion of the valve body only?

2.The manual doesn't say to but the 1st and 2nd stage heads have a sealant groove cut so again I am assuming a bead of high grade automotive silicone will suffice?

3.But what about the 3rd stage head? There is no groove in the head and the barrel of the piston assembly is proud of the jug it is installed in. It appeared to be a dry fit, is that correct?

4. Do the pipe fittings require any type of sealant?

Any guidance is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Thanks, I had seen this prior, but still had a couple of questions. I hope Bauer's authorized repair center have access to more detailed info, kinda of vague compared most service level manuals I have experience with.
My biggest concern is sealing the 3rd stage, the other two have sealant grooves so they are pretty straight forward. The 3rd stage has no groove and I don't recall seeing any RTV residue. Plus the piston sleeve sits proud of the jug.
Just trying to get it sealed up right the first time

Does anyone here have experience working on these compressors? 125 views between my two posts and only one reply. I thought the Utilus was a good compressor with a good service record, with many still in use. Maybe they don't break down, and on the rare occasion when they do they are simply surplussed?

The 3rd stage on all Bauer 3 stage compressors seals without any sealant. It's metal to metal, some shops add a very thin layer of some kind of sealant paste if they believe that the surfaces are slightly warped. Pipe fittings don't use sealant either since steel pipe fittings can easily be cranked tight enough to seal into the aluminum heads.

Michael

The 3rd stage on all Bauer 3 stage compressors seals without any sealant. It's metal to metal, some shops add a very thin layer of some kind of sealant paste if they believe that the surfaces are slightly warped. Pipe fittings don't use sealant either since steel pipe fittings can easily be cranked tight enough to seal into the aluminum heads.

Michael

Thanks Michael, this is exactly what I needed.

on stages 1 & 2 is s small bead of red hi temp rtv in the machined groove sufficient to seal them up?

The machined groove on the 1st and 2nd stage heads is for an O-Ring. Probably NBR, 80 hardness and 1.78mm thickness. No idea of the diameter, for that you'll either have to measure the ID with a set of calipers or consult the manual.
Don't use the RTV unless you really can't get the O-Rings. Bauer in Norfolk VA should be able to help 757-855-6006.

Michael

Looked online for the O-Rings. only 1 diagram showed an O-Ring for a utilus 1st stage PN 4466, no diagram showed O-rings for the 2nd stage. > contact Bauer and ask their advice.

Michael

Will do. Thanks Michael.

The 1st stage's groove is cut fill circumference. The 2nd stage's groove is interrupted by the suction valve.

I don't think this compressor has ever been apart and it had rtv on stages 1&2.

Wes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom