At least once in every state in the Union!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Ulfhedinn
A dive master candidate who does not log dives

if you don't log dives how will you know what cove, lake or mud hole you have dove -- or will dive in?
recall I am just an inquisitive slow thinking slow talking slow walking broken down diver from SoCal

It is acknowledged by all dive historians that recreational diving began in SoCal in the 1930s by the San Diego Bottom Scratchers Spearfishing club. (oh the Horror ! Spearfishing in 1930)

Therefore, why not began your ambitious diving adventure where it all began at La Jolla cove in San Diego ?

FYI
I have posted this numerous times before..,.The 1949 issue of Nat Geo - I have a copy and knew and dove with many in the issue. It is a glimpse at recreational diving at La Jolla Cove in San Diego before recreational diving became an international activity.

SDM

The 1949 National Geographic magazine article "Goggle fishing in California Waters," Vol ZCV #5,May 1949, is considered by most serious diving magliophile/bibliophile as the fountainhead of magazine articles devoted to spear fishing and the beginning of recreational diving in the US.
And it all took place in La Jolla Cove

Universally known as the "Bottom Scratcher issue," by diving "Magophiles" Pages 615 to 632 are jammed packed with the photographs of Lamar Boren, who later gained fame as the photographer of the Sea Hunt series, there are 7 B&W photographs, 12 "natural color" photographs (in 1949 color photography was in it's infancy) and with a text written by professional National Geographic staff member. This issue should be on every collector/historian library and bucket list to dive !

There is a historical significance of articles of this era that provide a glimpse in to a the genesis of the sport and should be cherished as one of the great historical documents...The crude early Churchill fins; the homemade equipment; the masks, the jab sticks (pole spears) the lack of thermal protection...All these items were in the process of future development.

So by visiting and hopefully diving La Jolla Cove you are diving "where it all began" in California by the Bottom Scratchers spear fishing club - made

Only a few remain who were participants of that bygone era and they are rapidly dwindling in numbers, soon they all will be gone... The last Bottom Scratcher was Jim Stewart whos Bio is in the legends of this board

I would suggest that you goggle the Nat/Geo article, (perhaps bring a copy with you for visually comparing 1949 vs 2019-the difference 70 years makes) So as a Californian dive into history - La Jolla Cove -- where it all began!

During your down time I would recommend a trip tp the Scrips Aquarium, perhaps a leisurely stroll on the historic Scrips pier

Cheers from California -- where it all began

Dr. Samuel Miler, 111

@Ulfhedinn You should check out the book An American Immersion by Jennifer Idol - all about her quest to be the first woman to dive all fifty states. She mentions all her specific dive sites, which might be useful for some of the less-dived states.

For my neck of the woods:

Maine/New Hampshire - Isles of Shoals is a great site with lots of kelp, as well as harbor and grey seals. Contact Portsmouth Scuba.
Vermont - The wrecks of Lake Champlain are really neat. Waterfront Scuba (Burlington, VT) would be your best contact.

http://www.aquaticsafaris.com/

NC

NC ocean diving is not really for the faint of heart.
Long boat rides - six foot swells common
Mostly deep dives.

On the bright side - you will learn a new term - a Carolina ladder ride :)

Utah: Homestead Crater during the winter. 90+ degree dome. Ski in the morning, dive the afternoon
Seabase west of Salt Lake City: salt water, tropical fish......no sharks anymore. 70+ degree in the summer, 50's in the winter
Sand Hollow: St. George in southern Utah. August-September are my favorite times 70's surface temp. Summer the water is in the 80's and the air temp in the 90's-100 . Twin engine Cessna, Volkswagon Van, plenty of fish. One of my favorite locations
Flaming Gorge: July-August 50-60 surface temp. Rock formations, freshwater fish. Another fav location

Illinois - I'd go to Mermet Springs. They have the fuselage of the jet used in the Fugitives movie and other cool stuff - including spoonbills! But one of the coolest things is they're very close to Metropolis, where they have a humongous Superman statue. It's a great photo op. And the folks at Mermet are super nice.

Arkansas-Beaver Lake, Greers Ferry Lake, Bull Shoals Lake

Kansas-Wilson Lake, maybe. I have not been there yet. Fort Scott Lake is near me, but have not tried it yet.

Missouri-Table Rock Lake, Bull Shoals Lake. Bonne Terre Mine is, reportedly, in the midst of a lawsuit. No way of knowing if that will be an option for your trip.

Oklahoma-Tenkiller Lake may be worth checking out.

DW

Depending on where you are on Bull Shoals, you might be able to get Missouri AND Arkansas checked off the list!!

Am I missing something in those states that border the Great Lakes, why would you Not dive in them?just curious...

I saw some divers boarding a boat once in a small lakefront town north of Milwaukee. Nice summer day and Lake M looked pretty flat.

Any state that borders the great lakes or the ocean, there are your dive spots.
It's land locked states, like Kansas, South Dakota, Tennessee that you will need to go looking for spots.
If going after all the effort to hit all these states, it would be worth it to hit some of the better or at least unique spots. You can add some uniqueness by doing things like Bull Shoals where you could start one dive in Missouri and surface in Arkansas. Lake Powell I have launched a boat in AZ and loaded it up in UT, if you pick the spot right you can dive that way as well.

07E36A9C-0A0B-49E6-9DD5-883931A7F7EE.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom