Why give primary instead of alternate regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for getting "mugged", well, yes. This is what I'm talking about being ready for and while I haven't been diving with that many beginners lately, it used to be much more common to be in the water with new to newer divers and I've still not seen such a thing.

I suspect some instructors have done but what of the rest of you Joe Blow divers out there?

I've asked many times in this thread, who has had it happen to them. So far just lowviz with his kid, and was only a hose grab.

I have done a low on air share donated my secondary secondary... nope not a typo. I had an AirII and an alternate as the AIRII is useless for sharing. Back then I had a different reason for having one not related to this thread. Diver signaled low on air. I had heaps so we shared to get closer to the exit (surfacing into boat traffic was a greater hazzard). Near the exit he resumed use of his system keeping us both safer for the exit over rock platforms with heaps of wave action. It went quite smoothly but made me appreciate the reason for having a longer hose.

I've had one instabuddy go OOA and it was one of the most bizarre experiences ever. I got "stuck as a third" to a pair of jokers who dived together regularly. I saw diver 2 motioning to diver 1 and grabbing for his gear. I though he was joking around so did diver 1 who kept heading for the surface. When I surfaced to find out what was going on... diver ! was giving a blast to diver 2 :rant:then he swam off leaving him behind OOA with pretty rough surface conditions a long distance from the exit. :shakehead:I stuck with Diver 2 knowing he was OOA and figuring the other guy who was steaming away from us was probably in better shape.:facepalm:

As we got closer to the exit.. Diver 2... yeah the OOA diver advised me he had just passed his Rescue and DM training. At this point he said considering the conditions he would tow me in! :fear:I said NO THANKS! I nearly had to fight him off as he expressed his opinion that conditions were a bit too rough for a Lady Diver! :76feet: By this time I was fed up enough to point out that this LADY DIVER had enough gas remaining to do the entire dive again AND make it to the exit underwater. :letsparty:There was no way I was going to have everyone on shore see me get towed in.:shocked: Needless to say I gave an earful to the Dive manager who had teamed me up with them :bash:and never dived with them again.

he expressed his opinion that conditions were a bit too rough for a Lady Diver! :76feet:
Did you point out to the mansplainer that Lady Divers, as opposed to Male Divers, aren't vulnerable to a kick in the cojones?

Since my alternate is usually an Air-2, donating my primary only makes sense (unless the other diver is a lovely lady-go-diva!

That's not "rude", that's desperate.

Hi chilly,

You and I have a disagreement. I am a big picture guy. I respect your compassion.

A diver who doesn't have the experience or brains to manage their gas, and then mugs someone for the regulator in the donator's mouth is just plain rude. A diver who doesn't have the experience or brains to hire a DM while he/she is diving beyond his/her skill and training level is just plain rude.

I have no compassion for that person. I would help that person, but I have no compassion for that person.

I would rather dive solo than dive with people like that.

Back to the OP, I hog loop my primary and necklace my back-up because I like it that way. If you are OOA, I will hand you my primary.

cheers,
markm

I would rather dive solo than dive with people like that.

Back to the OP, I hog loop my primary and necklace my back-up because I like it that way.
Solo works for me too.

I used to hog loop my primary, but the chances of being mugged solo in the middle of the night are lower than being hit by clear sky lightning underwater. My primary secondary is now and likely forever on a 'right-sized' hose.

Solo works for me too.

I used to hog loop my primary, but the chances of being mugged solo in the middle of the night are lower than being hit by clear sky lightning underwater. My primary is now and likely forever on a 'right-sized' hose.

Hi lowviz,

I have been diving with some good divers lately. They are responsible, experienced, and well trained. They perform their fiduciary duties to the group by managing their diving so that they don't ruin the diving experience of the group at large. It is truly good, fun, and worthwhile diving.

cheers,
markm

I hog loop my primary and necklace my back-up because I like it that way.
Best reason there is.

Just make sure you know what you're doing when you choose to go for a hog looped long hose (definitely general "you", definitely not specific "you"). It's way too easy to mess up. Please don't ask me how I know.

I have done a low on air share donated my secondary secondary... nope not a typo. I had an AirII and an alternate as the AIRII is useless for sharing. Back then I had a different reason for having one not related to this thread. Diver signaled low on air. I had heaps so we shared to get closer to the exit (surfacing into boat traffic was a greater hazzard). Near the exit he resumed use of his system keeping us both safer for the exit over rock platforms with heaps of wave action. It went quite smoothly but made me appreciate the reason for having a longer hose.

I've had one instabuddy go OOA and it was one of the most bizarre experiences ever. I got "stuck as a third" to a pair of jokers who dived together regularly. I saw diver 2 motioning to diver 1 and grabbing for his gear. I though he was joking around so did diver 1 who kept heading for the surface. When I surfaced to find out what was going on... diver ! was giving a blast to diver 2 :rant:then he swam off leaving him behind OOA with pretty rough surface conditions a long distance from the exit. :shakehead:I stuck with Diver 2 knowing he was OOA and figuring the other guy who was steaming away from us was probably in better shape.:facepalm:

As we got closer to the exit.. Diver 2... yeah the OOA diver advised me he had just passed his Rescue and DM training. At this point he said considering the conditions he would tow me in! :fear:I said NO THANKS! I nearly had to fight him off as he expressed his opinion that conditions were a bit too rough for a Lady Diver! :76feet: By this time I was fed up enough to point out that this LADY DIVER had enough gas remaining to do the entire dive again AND make it to the exit underwater. :letsparty:There was no way I was going to have everyone on shore see me get towed in.:shocked: Needless to say I gave an earful to the Dive manager who had teamed me up with them :bash:and never dived with them again.
That’s one of the funniest posts I have read on these forums :)

Now I see a legitimate reason for a BFK.

Back
Top Bottom