Reccs for January Dive Trip in Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curacao has everything on your list, It's really a bigger version of Bonaire with better dive entries - ,most off sandy beaches with dive shops onsite,
Around 40 shore dives IIRC and there's also a Klein Curacao but it's a day boat trip. Several ops also specialize in guided shore dives, The Dive Bus, Bas Harts Diving offer pickup from resorts in Willemstad,

If you do want t o shop/sightsee downtown Willemstad is very historic. They do get cruise traffic but it's easy to avoid - mostly centered around the harbor.

IMO the better diving is west but it's pretty quiet, not even a lot of restaurants and one food store,

Mambo Beach Blvd, is a shops/restaurants/beach bar area a little east of downtown. You can walk there from Lion's Dive Resort,

I actually rank the diving better than Bonaire, certainly more vertical, Almost the same fish life since it's 50 mi. away. You can do 2, maybe 3 dive sites per day but the drive is a little longer as many are off the main road that bisects the island but it's not waterfront but about 10-15 mins. drive. North of Lagun there;s a 2nd coastal road that passes about 8? dive sites b4 ending in Westpunt - Playa Kalki there being one of the best dives,

If you liked Belize, you could consider Caye Caulker instead San Pedro/Ambergis. For the most part they go to different dive sites. Caye Caulker is much less developed, very laid back, sand roads, some great beach bars, rustic restaurants with cheap lobsters. Not too much in the idealistic white sand, blue water, but still good swimming/lounging areas.

One thing that I thought was fantastic compared to many other destinations is that the locals will for the most part go to the same places to eat and drink. You may see your same guides/DMs at the bar that evening and have a drink or two with them. I felt like I could communicate and really get to know the people who live there. As opposed to other locations where there is the "tourist class" and then the poorer working class who support the tourist industry. At least that was my impression a couple of years ago.

Easy taxi from Belize City airport to the ferry, easy ferry to Caye Caulker.

My one tropical dive trip to Panama was OK. Reefs OK. Nice shells, some fish. It was with Panama Divers in Portobelo. Basic café type food--burgers, fish. "Hotel" there run by them (not exactly 5 star). $100 for 2 tank boat. That was in 2011 Jan.
Water temp. 76F.
I was in Panama on business in 2011 and dived in Portobelo. The diving was mediocre, fine for a few dives on a business trip, would not dream of going there on vacation. Perhaps it was the shells and the ability to take them.

I own Abyss Scuba in NY. I know you where asking about land based destinations but consider live aboard divo g. We'll be doing St Marteen, St Kitts and Saba aboard the Explorer Venture. Up to 5 dives a day all food, drinks and at least 4 of us are fun ppl (well we think we are). Give us a call 914- 244-3483 or email us at info@abyss-scuba.net

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom