Geeze, after only 20 years... (BCD)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Advertising revenues may be adversely affected by allowing trouble making SB divers that actually use the equipment to rate products and sellers.

No. I'd guess that it was the previous version of forum software that supported it. I wish it was supported again. Remember that you were rating buyers and sellers of used equipment. Not actual products. Sellers used to receive a positive (or negative) rating that remained on their records.

Anything wrong with a Cressi Strart Pro? Only $250 from Leisure Pro, and the small size should fit: Cressi Start Pro BCD

My GF has a older model of it, she did buy it used mostly to bring on vacations. She has like 100+ dives in it, it shows that it is used but it still works great.
If she isn’t diving dry she prefers it over her halcyon BP/W.

Except.....I recently bought off SB a "unused" BCD for my wife. Decent price, but it arrived with broken weight pocket stiffners and a shoulder-strap adjustment device that broke when touched. It may have been "unused" but it certainly was not in good condition and there is no way I'd trust the bladder. My guess is it had been stored next to a furnace or some other ozone-generating device, and the plastic/rubber parts were deteriorated. My loss. The seller ignores my messages.
If you paid using PayPal and did not choose ‘send to friend’ you can start a claim against him.

My experience is that PayPal tends to side with the buyer.

If the item is unused but damaged I still think it is misleading just file the claim and see what happens ?

Okay, update, I took it back from the shop. Power inflator is cracked through around where the red inflate button used to be, makes sense because that's where I saw it leaking when I dived (successfully) with it last week. Took inflator off and inflated BC by mouth at the inflator hose. With it submerged in the bathtub I couldn't see any leaks, but of course that ain't much pressure and I was turning blue keeping the air in.
So....I ordered a new 45-degree power inflator from Dive Gear Express for 17 bucks. if that fits, I have a filled pony so I can pressure-inflate it and see if it leaks then.
Will report back! I'm sure you're hanging on my every word, ha ha ;-) But maybe I can bring old Fido back to life?? Isn't that what happens when you play a country song backwards? Along with getting out of jail, getting your job and your pickup truck back, and your girl comes back??

But I digress..

Anything wrong with a Cressi Strart Pro? Only $250 from Leisure Pro, and the small size should fit: Cressi Start Pro BCD

For lightweight travel-friendly I'd add $25 and buy a zeagle covert. As I recall the starts we rented in a few places are not much smaller/lighter than my better half's aquapro, and it basically needs its own checked bag.

PS IIRC you must bury Fido in the old Indian burial ground. (And I suspect old Native American burial ground won't do.)

Okay, the country song wouldn't play backward this time, and I have thrown in the towel on my old-friend BC. When pressed up from my pony til the relief valve popped, there are several small leaks, and the inflator hose connection leaks (that may be the female part's problem from the first stage, not the male part of the connector), The velcro's getting snaggly in places, and wire part for the pull-dump inside inflator hose, rotted through.

New on-line Cressi Start on the way, $199 on sale, free shipping. I'm optimistic it will work, and I'm right in the middle of the weight range for the size ordered. It has 31 pounds of lift, fine for me. I'm a simple diver with simple needs, simple rig with conventional octo, weight belt, I dive once every few months, nothing real deep except Hole in the Wall off Jupiter once in a blue moon, and I don't stay long. I'm a light user in that sense (light spender too). Plus I'm 70, how long does this one need to last?? Don't answer that.... ;-)

Will let you know if "never buy your BC on line" is inapplicable this time. Hope so. I have, however, heeded the "never buy one used, at least on-line" advice. Plus, new BC means I have to run over to "the Coast" to try it out, the central Gulf's still warm.

Will let you know if "never buy your BC on line" is inapplicable this time.

If you bought from Leisure Pro you'll be fine. They'll replace it if it doesn't fit and take it back if you don't like it, no questions asked.

If you bought from Leisure Pro you'll be fine. They'll replace it if it doesn't fit and take it back if you don't like it, no questions asked.

Yup, LP, now in the Flatiron District, that mecca of diving..

It came last week, looks and fits fine, it also came with the LP hose so I put that onto the first stage (after first reading on-line not to over-tighten it) and no connection leak, obviously, they're both new.

Now it's my civic duty to go test it out, before the Gulf cools off too much. We are WWWs down here ;-)

Back
Top Bottom