Din vs Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you own your own tanks, then DIN. If you plan on renting, especially in Asia, yoke. The adapters work fine, but are really annoying when you hit the back of your head on them. Unless you're doing true overhead technical diving, I would use yoke. They can always be converted later. Cost of the conversion kit is about 2x that of the adapter, but you can swap them at home in about 5 minutes. Well worth it IMO and is what I do when I travel. If I know I'm going to be renting tanks for recreational diving, I just bring yoke first stages.

I initially got my Atomic regulator with DIN + adaptor but soon converted to yoke. The combination DIN + adapter sticks out too far and restricted my head's movement a lot.

I switched to DIN about 16 years ago. At the time, I had yoke tanks, but soon after bought tanks with a pro valve. So, for a while I used the DIN to yoke adapter. It worked fine, but I’ve since switched the yoke tanks over to DIN.

The adapter worked fine, but there are two potential issues with it.
1. The adapter makes it bulkier. In some configurations, that might mean that the reg can poke you in the back. I’ve never had this issue, but if the reg body is inline with the DIN/yoke connector, that could be an issue. Mine has the 90 degree bend, so it hasn’t been an issue.
2. With the adapter, you have double the o-rings at the connection. One in the tank valve, and one at the regulator DIN connection. Not really a huge concern as long as you carry the appropriate spare o-rings, also, this is no different than using a pro valve with a yoke reg.

I prefer DIN. Connection is more positive, and o-ring is more secure. Yoke o-rings tend to blow out with some degree of regularity. I can’t recall ever having a DIN o-ring blowout. One thing, though on the o-rings. Yoke o-rings are one size, but there are two DIN o-ring sizes. So the unprepared yoke diver can reasonably expect a fellow diver to have a spare, but it’s a lot less likely with a DIN. Usually not needed, so this may be a wash. I carry a small kit with me of the o-rings I might need: DIN, flashlights, computer, transmitter, and hoses. I even carry a few yoke o-rings to bail out my friends who dive yoke.

Relative newbie here. DIN is so much better. For me at least. Easier and quicker to fasten. Feels like a better fit. I have a yoke adapter which I take down to the Caribbean. Personally I'm surprised that yokes still exist.

I carry my back-up torch on my right shoulder strap. I have three DIN o-rings on the bolt snap shaft in the event a DIN o-ring decides to thumb the dive before it gets started.

Just returned last week from a live aboard in the Red Sea. We were setting up our gear and I put my yoke style Deep Six reg on the tank and turned on the gas and it was leaking loudly. Shut it off and took off the reg and looked at the tank--it was set up for din regs--no yoke insert, I hadn't even noticed. Put in a yoke insert put the reg back on -- good to go. The second day of diving I put my reg back on and it was leaking again--changed inserts--still leaking. Another insert with a new O ring and it immediately blew the O ring when I turned on the gas. We went through six different inserts until we finally found one that would seal and used it all week with no more problems. Only two out of 14 divers were using yoke regs and the guide said I should have brought my own insert that I knew would seal on my reg==really? Well maybe you should have told me that before I booked on your boat. Dived all around the world and this was the first time I had encountered this problem but also the first time I had had to use a yoke insert in a tank. My immediate thought was to convert my reg to din when I got home---but then I gave it a little more thought and thought that this was hopefully a one off situation.

Around here, everyone uses DIN and yoke/A-clamp is considered obsolete. And DIN is technically better. There's just no contest there.

But I'd choose the current standard where I plan to dive the most because a DIN to yoke adapter is a clumsy unit. Although newer valves can easily be converted from yoke to DIN by just unscrewing the insert in the valve. Unless the valve and the insert have had time to corrode into a single fused entity, that is.

Most dive ops in Mexico have tanks with convertible valves and can accommodate either fitting. DIN is superior so that what we use and take an adapter just in case. Personally never had problem using the adapter when necessary.

I only have DIN regs. When I travel, I take the DIN-to-yoke adapter.

When my tank is mounted to my BCD, I do not have the valve up behind my head. It's generally around the base of my neck (or lower). So, using the adapter and having the 1st stage be positioned slightly closer to my body has no effect on whether I hit my head on anything.

Taking the adapter off and packing it separately makes the 1st stage pack a little nicer.

On the other hand, it has happened to at least 2 of my buddies that they wanted to borrow tanks from me, I brought them tanks, and then they couldn't use the tanks because my steel tanks all have 300 bar valves and there is no adapter for them to use their yoke regs on my tanks.

In other words, with a DIN reg and an adapter, you can use any tank. With a yoke reg, you are limited. You cannot use it on any tank with a 300 bar valve. Why buy a reg that won't work on every tank out there, when you can buy a different reg that will?

Get one that you will use the most. DIN reg + yoke adapter is really for those who use DIN most of the time, and yoke once in a while. If you get DIN but with yoke adapter on 90% of the time, then it is the worse of both side. One more DIN+adapter no one has mentioned yet is you really have to take them apart, clean, dry and store between uses. If you leave the adapter on after dive, even with good rise, and store. In 6 month, the adatpr won't come off easily.

Disclaimer here is that I was one of those who thought DIN+adapter are the best of combo and got that as my first reg set up. It was one of my biggest regrets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom