Need advice on a budget dive outside Caribbean and Hawaii!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which of these ( Anilao. , PG ) has that leafy dragon pipe fish, it is tiny and green sometimes reddish in color, very slow moving?

Wonder if I can see the bigger leafy dragon as well....

That's one of my life goals to see them

Philippines was some of the cheapest diving I've done and it is loaded with cool critters

Which of these ( Anilao. , PG ) has that leafy dragon pipe fish, it is tiny and green sometimes reddish in color, very slow moving?

Wonder if I can see the bigger leafy dragon as well....

That's one of my life goals to see them
It's not very exotic and you can't dive with them but Ripley's Aquarium at Boardwalk on the Beach (Myrtle Beach SC) had several in a small room of the main area. Small Hex tank near the back. It was a while ago though - like 20? years.

I did not expect it and wish I'd had more time before dinner reservations nearby. They move like Seahorses.

Roatan can be very cheap except for the flight. You can also easily go over to Utila also. It is similar diving to the Caribbean though - technically it's Central Ameriica.
Well, yes, arguably it is in Central America, but it is an island in the Caribbean Sea, so it is no surprise the diving is Caribbean.

Lembeh or Anilao is for macro.

Indonesia food beats Pinoy food anytime and anywhere. I have travelled all over Philippines and the food is really suck by Asian standard. Only PNG serves worst food. But Thai food is above anyone bar none.

Ghost pipe fish is not that exotic in Indonesia and Philippines.
Solenostomus paradoxus - Wikipedia

Anilao + PG would be interesting and won't burn a hole in your pocket.
PAL is fine but the food is really lousy. Promotion fare from time to time so get yourself registered with them for fare alert.

Indonesia has better diving though.

Lembeh or Anilao is for macro.

Indonesia food beats Pinoy food anytime and anywhere. I have travelled all over Philippines and the food is really suck by Asian standard. Only PNG serves worst food. But Thai food is above anyone bar none.

Ghost pipe fish is not that exotic in Indonesia and Philippines.
Solenostomus paradoxus - Wikipedia

Anilao + PG would be interesting and won't burn a hole in your pocket.
PAL is fine but the food is really lousy. Promotion fare from time to time so get yourself registered with them for fare alert.

Indonesia has better diving though.

I love them all, pinoy, Indonesia( fav), thai, Malay....oh my!

What is PNG BTW? Thx

Well, yes, arguably it is in Central America, but it is an island in the Caribbean Sea, so it is no surprise the diving is Caribbean.
Are you always going to dispute what I post? Just wanted to know b4 I add you to my Ignore list.

Next year, I want to see some totally different lifeforms.....so can you please recommend what could be the next trip for me and when to do ? I'm thinking some place in Indonesia like lembeh Strait.

No need to go that far for mind blowing diving. Shop the sales and go to Socorro. It is spectacular scuba, you'll be bored after you dive there.

@miserkris you have asked for people to recommend destinations, but one critical factor is what do you want to see and what type of diving do you like. One person, such as @mcohen1021 might recommend Socorro because of the incredible "big stuff". Others, such as @Centrals might recommend Lembeh because of its world class macro.

Both are totally valid recommendations, but unless we know what you are looking for, then we are simply making a "best guess". FWIW, I tend to like big stuff and I would second the recommendation of @mcohen1021 for Socorro if that is what you like. I did a trip there and saw Hammerheads, Galapagos Sharks, Silkies, White Tip Reef Sharks, a Whale Shark :), and some very friendly Mantas.

Back
Top Bottom