Long Hose As Backup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaveSloth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know multiple people who use their necklace regulator as their primary and stow the long hose regulator as backup for air sharing. I know they are wrong, but I can never convince them they are wrong. Please give me more ammunition to convince them. Thanks.

Alternatively, please suggest ways to make their clipped off long hose regulator easier to "break away" in case I am ever out of air and diving with these miscreants. Does the Dive Rite "hose clip retainer" work for breakaway as DGX advertises?

Alternatively, please suggest ways to make their clipped off long hose regulator easier to "break away" in case I am ever out of air and diving with these miscreants. Does the Dive Rite "hose clip retainer" work for breakaway as DGX advertises?

We use these and bring extras with us all the time regardless of the features built into our BCDs. I really hate the practice at some dive shops where they loop the octo hose in a D ring.

acc819.jpg

I don't dive long hose or bungeed necklace, so I can't really comment on your question. But I always assumed that the long hose was used as the primary because it's easier to route and then deploy (for primary donate) that way. Seems to me that having a long hose octo would be a pain in the rear to route and stow in such as way that it would be easy to deploy in an OOA situation. How do these divers you speak of route their long hose alternate?

As for clipping an octo off, I use the silicone rings that Katie posted. Once they are in the water and are wet it is very easy to pull the octo free, but I've never had my octo fall off unintentionally. I tried a magnetic holder but after one dive took the thing off. I hated it.

Please give me more ammunition to convince them.
  1. if you're diving multiple gases, donating the reg you're breathing from ensures that your buddy receives breathable gas, not your 100% deco gas at a depth way below 6m.
  2. why faff around with breakaway connections? Tie the boltsnap to your reg hose the standard way, don't clip it off and breathe that reg while diving. Easy peasy, no creativity required. Clip it off only if you're receiving gas and need to store your own primary, or if on dry land (or deck).
  3. switching from your hog looped primary to your necklaced secondary should take maximum 0.5-1 seconds. If you need more, you suck at using your gear properly and should take remedial training.
  4. donating your primary while switching to your necklaced secondary is really, really easy if you've done a modicum of training with a long hose config. Heck, you don't even need an instructor; two or three practice sessions ought to be enough for anyone able to tie their own shoelaces.
  5. hog looped primary and necklaced secondary is as close to a standard that it's possible to get if you're using a long hose config. Why confuse your buddy by not following standards?

Bottom line: if it works, don't fix it. Hog looped primary and necklaced secondary has been proven to work. Just don't forget to include an S-drill in your pre-dive routine.

This might seem obvious, but if you don't like the way someone dives or think they're unsafe, don't buddy with them.

Part of the problem is that I also haven't yet convinced myself that this practice is unsafe. (necklace primary, long hose stowed). It seems like I could easily grab their long hose regulator if I needed it.

Sidemount, I always donate long hose, no exceptions! You reach for my reg on necklace you will have a fight on your hands. And FYI constantly switching regs every 500 PSI during dive.

And I ALWAYS talk about that with the group I'm diving with as part of the dive brief.

Part of the problem is that I also haven't yet convinced myself that this practice is unsafe. (necklace primary, long hose stowed). It seems like I could easily grab their long hose regulator if I needed it.

Sure, you can grab it, but it'll be clipped off!

I know multiple people who use their necklace regulator as their primary and stow the long hose regulator as backup for air sharing. I know they are wrong, but I can never convince them they are wrong. Please give me more ammunition to convince them. Thanks.

This proves the point of some of the valid arguements expressed in the primary v alternate thread. Namely, if your going to have a long hose setup, great, but at least make the effort to rig, use and deploy it properly. An alternate air source hard snapped to a metal d ring is about as much use as chocolate fireguard.

If you can't convince them through reason, maybe spring a mock OOG on them and see how they respond.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom