Scubapro mk17evo or Apeks MTX-R

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO, the Mk17 nor the Apeks are an upgrade from the DR XT1. That is great info from @buddhasummer about the Mk 17 but I wouldn't buy the Mk 17 anyway, simply because it has no bottom port or swivel turret. I have no use for a swivel turret in single tank diving. But, the bottom port is very nice, even in single tank, for having your longer hose route under your arm (whether it's your octo, or your primary).

I have 2 of the DR XT sets. They are great. The only regs I have used that I like better are the SP Mk 25 EVO w/G260 2nd stage and any Atomic. And then, they are only a teeny bit nicer to breathe. It is such a small difference I suspect many would not notice. I had also a SP Mk 25 EVO w/S620Ti set (2 of them actually) and it did not breathe any better than the XT regs do.

But, if you really want to upgrade, and it's for single tank diving, I would highly recommend the Atomic Z2 set. $440 for the 1st and 2nd stage kit. And it breathes as well as anything I have tried.

Haven't used it. Looks good, but no knob, so pass from me. Knob is really essential to prevent free flowing when diving in cold.
I have MTX-R and never had any problems in near freezing water. Not even with DPV diving. So why is the knob essential?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom