Long Hose As Backup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lol.. this is why all three of my kids were trained straight into OW/AOW by cave divers, who I trusted to show them good skills and gear configuration. I have no issue with trying out new things, but we have over 40 years of learnings to help start new divers off from a good place.

My kids were trained to breathe from long/primary with a secondary on a neck bungee. It’s kind of funny to hear them complain when they have a few times used rental gear that has been set up “wrong”. Lol...

@CaveSloth, there are several comments I would make about your buddies who stow their long hose..

-don’t do it yourself. I will make fun of you.. lol
-switching to your backup will be much harder with that hose wrapped around god knows what.
-that 5/7’ hose wrapped round your neck w a 90* elbow is by far the best way to stow and deploy that configuration.
-this whole discussion is just irrelevant if diving sidemount. ..you need to be able to stow and deploy either reg/side. And “fight” w an OOA diver over which reg they grab?! OMG! That’s just a recipe for a double fatality. Ummm WTF are you diving SM? Because of tight restrictions, or low clearances? I would let an OOA buddy take whatever reg I am breathing from. It’s MY job to have my head on straight and transition to the other reg. If you can’t handle that, ..please hang up your sidemount BC.

-this whole discussion is just irrelevant if diving sidemount. ..you need to be able to stow and deploy either reg/side. And “fight” w an OOA diver over which reg they grab?! OMG! That’s just a recipe for a double fatality. Ummm WTF are you diving SM? Because of tight restrictions, or low clearances? I would let an OOA buddy take whatever reg I am breathing from. It’s MY job to have my head on straight and transition to the other reg. If you can’t handle that, ..please hang up your sidemount BC.

I dive sidemount because of old tired bad knees and back AND dive some restrictions. And don't really care about any of the rest of your comments one bit.

I dive sidemount because of old tired bad knees and back AND dive some restrictions. And don't really care about any of the rest of your comments one bit.

That’s cool... you be you! I dive in a way to survive the unexpected as much as possible. I would much rather be prepared to switch out regs and get me and any distressed diver safely out of the water.

You grab the reg from my mouth... fine! You grab the reg that’s on my neck bungee...fine. You grab the reg I have clipped off to a SM bottle.... fine! .....get some of this gas, and be cool!! Let’s not die today!!

You grab the reg from my mouth... fine! You grab the reg that’s on my neck bungee...fine. You grab the reg I have clipped off to a SM bottle.... fine! .....get some of this gas, and be cool!! Let’s not die today!!

You win, ur always right and no one can do any type of diving that doesn't meet your personal standards.

Enjoy yourself, I'm gonna go blow bubbles.

I know multiple people who use their necklace regulator as their primary and stow the long hose regulator as backup for air sharing. I know they are wrong, but I can never convince them they are wrong. Please give me more ammunition to convince them. Thanks.

Alternatively, please suggest ways to make their clipped off long hose regulator easier to "break away" in case I am ever out of air and diving with these miscreants. Does the Dive Rite "hose clip retainer" work for breakaway as DGX advertises?
A8F64D8E-C160-45F8-B9E8-F3ED05C4F07F.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom