Dremel Tool use and accessories in Dive Center Service Department

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoltSnap

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Do you use a Dremel Tool in your workshop to work on dive equipment? What model and what accessories do you use? Also, what do you use it for?

The reason why I am asking: I am setting up an equipment service department in our dive center here in Libya and I'd like to order a dremel tool but they don't sell or even know about it here. I have to order it from the US most likely (hopefully they make them in 220V/50Hz version) and I want to know what accessories I should order so that I don't have to order twice due to very expensive shipping charges and the long lead time for products to arrive to Libya from the US.

Note: I always like to order the "better/best" setup from the beginning so price isn't as much of an issue as quality and suitability for purpose are in this case (up to a point).

Please let me know of all possible uses and all accessories/models that can be of use in a scuba/free diving equipment workshop.

Do you use a Dremel Tool in your workshop to work on dive equipment? What model and what accessories do you use? Also, what do you use it for?

The reason why I am asking: I am setting up an equipment service department in our dive center here in Libya and I'd like to order a dremel tool but they don't sell or even know about it here. I have to order it from the US most likely (hopefully they make them in 220V/50Hz version) and I want to know what accessories I should order so that I don't have to order twice due to very expensive shipping charges and the long lead time for products to arrive to Libya from the US.

Note: I always like to order the "better/best" setup from the beginning so price isn't as much of an issue as quality and suitability for purpose (up to a point).

Please let me know of all possible uses and all accessories/models that can be of use in a scuba/free diving equipment workshop.
Not a direct answer, but when I move to Europe, I'll have my BAT (big a$$ed transformer) in order to use a lot of my power tools. You may need to go the same route. However, you may look at battery operated ones. Hopefully the charger can handle switching between 110 and 220.

Not a direct answer, but when I move to Europe, I'll have my BAT (big a$$ed transformer) in order to use a lot of my power tools. You may need to go the same route. However, you may look at battery operated ones. Hopefully the charger can handle switching between 110 and 220.

I know what you mean, it is always an issue when buying from the US. The problem is that when you forget to connect to the transformer and plug the tool directly into the 220V outlet, lots of smoke!!

Battery operated with charger that can handle a range of power V is best I think.

The only thing I have used a Dremel for is polishing corrosion out of piston walls. Not sure such an activity.would be acceptable in a certified/authorized repair facility.

I use one of the least expensive rechargable models. I do now have a much more robust one, but it was purchased for things other than scuba.

Wool discs and Flitz metal polish...

YMMV

Everyone should have a battery-powered dremel.

They are God's gift to the 21st century.

Everyone should have a battery-powered dremel.

They are God's gift to the 21st century.

And what accessories do you recommend to get with it?

You can get 220v 50hz dremel tools on the UK, France, or German Amazon websites.

The one coming out of the US will be 110v, 60hz.

Besides the regular polishing and sanding accessories that most dremels seem to come with, I have really gotten a lot of use out of metal drills and metal saw thingies. I don't know what the real names are... I just walk around in the hardware store and buy dremel bits that visually look super useful.

When you need something drilled or cut but need a lot more precision and gentleness than a regular drill or saw can provide, the dremel stands strong.

These are my Top 3 metal bits. I use them at home, in the office, in the lab, in the car, etc... I don't run a scuba shop but I do work in a general science laboratory. A battery-powered dremel is just a great, all-around multipurpose tool. It saves so much time when you need to trim/drill/burr something but don't want to fuss with bigger power tools or mess around with hand tools. These little metal bits I'm showing are really great for cutting/drilling into thin metal and PVC plastic.

Attachments

• 91f896d4642c9150-photo.JPG
    91f896d4642c9150-photo.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 127
Do you use a Dremel Tool in your workshop to work on dive equipment?
Rarely, but I have used one to attempt to remove the lens coating from a new mask. Which reminds me, there is a thread that I REALLY need to get back to...

What model and what accessories do you use?
I've had several models over the years. I now have a two-speed 200 series model. Nothing fancy. They aren't precision tools. They are good for "touch-up" work, though.

I have similar assortments of accessories (as suggested above in previous posts).
Also, what do you use it for?
There is one job that it truly excels at. Very small cutting or grinding work on extremely hard metals. The abrasive disks are downright amazing. See my picture of a cut made into seriously hard tool steel. Treat the wheels as a consumable, one job per wheel or two. The smallest wheel in the pic is how much wear I got from making that cut into tool steel. Compare to the unused one next to it. They also have bigger wheels but they are thicker, see two at top of pic.

Have you looked at inexpensive 'mills' such as: PROXXON - MF 70 The cost is low, but it is always tooling for the machine that is the runaway cost.

Dremel.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom