Yet another: Which 38-40lb wing to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

marcin.a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Guys,
I am really sorry for yet another 'which one to buy' thread. I need a 38-40lb single tank wing. My choice is quite limited - I am in Australia. Importing stuff from US or Europe is simply speaking not feasible. My choices are roughly limited to Apeks WTX-D40 or Hollis S38 LX. Halcyon Eclipse 40lb is wee bit too expensive. Nobody I know around me uses either wing. Can't just go and see it in a dive shop as the only dive shop in my corner of the bush doesn't have them in stock.
Why wing of this size: This is a dry suit diving rig with all weights on harness (yes, I really want it that way on that rig). Including full 12L steel cylinder the wing will need to be able to float up to 36.5 lb. Backplate is steel Hollis, preferably no STA. I know that Apeks uses proprietary dump valve. I don't like it but can live with it. I assume, although I have no hard evidence that at least inflator elbow is standard.
Now my question: Which one of these two is physically narrower/shorter and behaves better when empty? All the pictures I can find on the net present these wings proudly inflated. Most, if not all the time I will be diving it completely deflated (drysuit). I don't want flapping frills or dancing cylinder. I have to say that it looks to me that Apeks wing is slightly better designed and it is my first choice.
This is an other subject: In near future I would like to supplement this rig with a tropical wing and Apex WTX-D18 looks very snug (if I like the D40).
Thanks for any opinions!

I normally dive a Halcyon Eclipse 40, but during a Lake Huron diving trip this summer, I had to borrow the Apeks 40lb wing you mentioned, as my Halcyon had a pinch flat and was in the shop being repaired. It seemed narrower than my Halcyon wing. The Apeks was very nice to dive and I couldn’t tell any difference over my wing. I’m like you - drysuit, steel tanks, and a lot of weight.

The Hollis wings always seem wide to me. I’d go with the Apeks.

Plus since Hollis was bought out by Huish, there are a lot of reported customer service issues. No such problems with Apeks/AquaLung.

These guys are located in the ACT and have been good to deal with for all my bits and bobs for sidemount. If the quality is like my stealth I'd certainly be happy to recommend xdeep for a wing. Alternatively skip the BM and pickup a sidemount wing of your own :D

Deep Dive Gear - Dive your adventure!

I will echo several of Marie13's comments, but with a slightly different 'spin'.

I don't find the Hollis wing to be particularly 'wide', I DO find the Apeks WTX-D series to be narrow. The 'bottom line' is the same - the WTX-D40 is a narrower (or, as Apeks describes it, 'more streamlined') wing than several others. In addition to the 40, I have a WTX-D18, and a WTX-D30. I very much like the wings - they are VERY durable. I particularly like Apeks inflator hoses and power inflators The Apeks wings are also a bit heavier than some other wings of similar size.

I have had some customer service issues with Huish, and Marie's comments with regard to Hollis are appropriate. It is not so much that Huish personnel are unfriendly, as they seem a bit disorganized, and therefore less responsive at times. The same thing happened when Huish bought Zeagle.

The Hollis wing is fully functional, and there are no performance problems that I am aware of. I would give the edge, between the two, to Apeks (particularly given your location).

Now, if money wasn't an issue, I would urge you to seriously consider Halcyon, which has excellent customer service, and is my preferred single cylinder wing. :) But, if that isn't an option, Apeks is a very good choice.

Hollis wing is actually pretty low quality stuff. I would not compare it to Apeks or Halcyon, far from them. How about VDH or Oxycheq?

Hollis wing is actually pretty low quality stuff. I would not compare it to Apeks or Halcyon, far from them. How about VDH or Oxycheq?

OP said he’s in Australia and importing gear from overseas isn’t going to happen. Apeks and Hollis are the available choices since Halcyon is too pricey.

OP said he’s in Australia and importing gear from overseas isn’t going to happen. Apeks and Hollis are the available choices since Halcyon is too pricey.

Ok ic. Then Apeks. I have had quite a few issues with my previously own Hollis gears and their customer service was not able to resolve. Not something i will buy again.

Back
Top Bottom