Din vs Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Disclaimer here is that I was one of those who thought DIN+adapter are the best of combo and got that as my first reg set up. It was one of my biggest regrets.
I still have two sitting somewhere at home and haven't seen any daylight or been under water well in excess of 10yrs. What a waste of money!!

Apeks regs are very easy to convert between the two. All you need is 19mm box/ring spanner and a 6.5mm allen key. AP1409 or 011 O-rings would be useful.

I have five tanks and only the AL80's are still Yoke.....for now. Have the pro valves and will be taking those two tanks in asap to get them changed over. I have both kinds of regs, yoke and DIN and I prefer DIN, even though my 80 valves will only be able to take 3000 psi, who cares. My primary set of regs are DIN and my backups are yoke, so I can use both if the need arises. I have an adapter and if I ended up going somewhere where I absolutely needed it I would be okay with that, but I've found the first stage does stick out farther (towards my fat head).

Only DIN.

I've only ever had to use my adapter once in old school yokey Australia, all other tank rentals have the removable insert, and I carry two hex key sizes in my kit to remove them.

More secure, less bulk on and off the tank, ready for any pressure, just better.

I just started diving this summer and in the process of buying my gear I researched which to buy. I chose DIN for the following reasons.

1. Easier to convert DIN to Yoke than the other way around
2. DIN seems to stick out the back of your tank less
3. DIN seems a more solid connection, fully enclosing the O-ring
4. Although not needed in most cases, DIN supports higher pressures which "may" mean a high margin of safety

My regulator has a yoke, but the tanks I dive are steel DIN. They have the adapters and I have never had an in the water issue, but not all yokes fit over the all DIN valves. My daughter’s reg fits on one tank, but not the other.

if starting from scratch, I would go with what is most widely used in your area. You can put a yoke (with an adapter) on most DIN tanks, but the reverse is not nearly as simple.

My regulator has a yoke, but the tanks I dive are steel DIN. They have the adapters and I have never had an in the water issue, but not all yokes fit over the all DIN valves. My daughter’s reg fits on one tank, but not the other.

if starting from scratch, I would go with what is most widely used in your area. You can put a yoke (with an adapter) on most DIN tanks, but the reverse is not nearly as simple.

Huh? I think you have that backwards. As you said, you can put a yoke (with an adapter) on most DIN tanks. But, it’s that “most” that makes it not simple. There are some tanks on which you cannot use any yoke reg. Period. All of my personal steel tanks, for example.

The reverse is much simpler. You can use a DIN reg on any tank (some, with an adapter).

A DIN tank with insert for a yoke has the same O-rings/failure points as a yoke tank with an adaptor for a DIN regulator. The only way to take that out is to used matched tank and regulator.

The popularity of DIN is increasing. 15-20 years ago yoke what everyone got, unless you were getting something really special. Today it is about a 50/50 split. The last California boat I was on had a LOT of tanks on it (it was a tech trip), I think every single one was DIN. Al my new gear is DIN. I did get a DIN to yoke adaptor just in case I need to rent a tank and all they have is yoke. But most places will have at least a few DIN tanks these days.

I would recommend getting DIN. Pick up a basic adaptor (cheap) in case you come to a place that only has yoke. So far I have never needed my adaptor. Came close, but I saw a tank around the corner that was DIN and got that one. My closest call renting a tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom