Wanted Any old BCD with an intact bladder and preferably a quick dump valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckDiver1692

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm experimenting with an underwater device that I would like to make neutrally buoyant at different depths. The easiest way would be to give it it's own BCD in a sense. I just need a wing or bladder that holds air, or potentially lift bag, can produce about 5-10lbs of lift, and preferably has a quick dump valve.

I'm considering using a DSMB but they're a bit long and I am looking for more girth rather than length if possible. Lift bags which are not open-ended work but many are upwards of $100 new.

Looking for really old ones you basically can't sell for anything and are just looking to get rid of.
Thanks!

Dromedary bag? Been a couple threads recently of them being used as an emergency alternate inflation...

For that small of an amount of lift, from what you describe of the requirements, I would buy a cheap camelbak bladder off Amazon (3 liter gets you a little over 6.5 lb lift) for about $10-15 and add a dump valve (at DGX a bladder flange is $9 and the dump valve is $5). You didn't specify how air will be added.... If you go the diy route for the bladder let me know... I'm diving a diy wing right now with 3d printed flanges and an intex swim ring for a bladder. I might be able to help!
Respectfully
James

Thanks for the suggestions. :) I guess I just want to do as little manual work as possible because I'm building a DIY system that I want to be fairly accessible for most people without having to cut holes in things, add over-inflation valves, etc. and ultimately risk leaks. I was planning on inflating it orally just to keep it simple, but I suppose being able to connect to a really really small air cylinder could also work as well.

Manual inflation of a camelbak bladder via the bite valve should be easy.... And now that I think about it, I'll bet it would work as an opv of sorts as well (just looking at the geometry of it). Easy to test if you have an old camelbak handy, and pool access. Just inflate the camelbak fully @ about 10 feet, ascend slowly and watch the bite valve for venting. 10 ft will give you about 30% overfill at surface, enough you should get venting, but only about 5 psi if it doesn't.

The funny thing is that you need something really old. The original manual fill/vent fitting from a early model BC before the LPI came to be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom