Is have an AI feature on dive watch better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveRD

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just bought the Garmin MK1 last week and wondering if I should return it for a dive watch that has an AI feature. Thoughts?

depends if you find AI useful (some divers do), don't mind spending extra money on the transmitter, and if you use the garmin for activities other than scuba (if you don't then a shearwater teric is better suited as a dedicated dive computer)

It's not a matter of better, it's just preference. Some divers prefer the simplicity of an analog SPG, some prefer one less hose and the additional data an AI PC provides.

I own both a Descent and a Teric. One tracks me through the day as well as my position entering and exiting the water and the latter tracks my air pressure. Both are pretty cool PDCs and can be configured with the same algorithms. Together, they provide perfect complimentary redundancy that always agree with each other in regard to NDT as well as Deco.

I don't think it's better or worse, unless cost is your biggest factor in your purchase decision...then it's worse! To me, if you're going to go through the trouble of buying something small form factor, it makes sense to exploit every benefit that small form factor provides you, which means eliminating a hose through the use of AI.

I own both a Descent and a Teric. One tracks me through the day as well as my position entering and exiting the water and the latter tracks my air pressure. Both are pretty cool PDCs and can be configured with the same algorithms. Together, they provide perfect complimentary redundancy that always agree with each other in regard to NDT as well as Deco.

Pretty neat. I didnt even consider using both at the same time.

MK1 is very user friendly, and after watching vids off youtube, I cant wait to try it out in the ocean. Just wish this thing had AI as well.

I don't think it's better or worse, unless cost is your biggest factor in your purchase decision...then it's worse! To me, if you're going to go through the trouble of buying something small form factor, it makes sense to exploit every benefit that small form factor provides you, which means eliminating a hose through the use of AI.

I bought a cobalt 3 recently which is why at first, getting the MK1 made sense. Now I'm thinking that also having an AI watch might not be a bad idea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom