Broken Inflator Hose Valve on SCUBAPRO Seahawk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex_Garland

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I purchased a SCUBAPRO Seahawk BCD back in February 2015, and it worked great until this week, without any servicing aside from thorough rinsing and drying after each dive trip (about 120 dives altogether).

During a trip to West Palm Beach, FL, this week, I was doing a shallow shore dive off the Blue Heron Bridge and noticed a leak near the inflator hose valve that attaches to the vest. The BCD was not retaining air very well. The following day, I was getting set up on a boat and started fiddling with the valve to see if it could be tightened, and the inflator hose snapped off. The plastic in the screw-on mechanism seemed to have corroded clean through (see attached photo).

Obviously this piece of equipment is well past warranty, but I will call SCUBAPRO to see what can be done to fix it. I will have a cost-benefit decision to make depending on what they say. I was wondering if any of you have had a similar experience with your BCDs? If so, have you found it worthwhile to get them fixed, or do you think it's better to buy a new one in these situations?

Either way, I'll also have to decide whether to start servicing my BCD. There doesn't seem to be a consensus of opinion on this; I know many divers who have gone either way. What are your thoughts?

If I choose to buy a new BCD, what should I do with the old one? Can used up BCDs be recycled?

Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_4467.JPG
    IMG_4467.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 75
those look RF welded not screw on. repair would have to be removal of the old flange assembly, then cleaning it sufficiently with a sealing surface to fit a replacement that is screw on.

BCD I/D Repair

Be prepared for the possibility that repair can't be done. But check into it with a Scubapro dealer anyway. Some companies would provide an unpublished meaningful "trade-in" discount for items like that, even though it is not in warranty.

Men think there's too much talking women say there just aint enough
I just think with what people have, let us just say it's just puff and fluff

full.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom