Knots for easy cutting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, I understand.

I think if you stop thinking of the connection as 'one' knot, but rather as two knots with a short length of line between it will be much easier to get what you want. Then you just need to pick knots that hold things in a way you like.

I use...

hcr_1big.jpg

I never had luck with cave line to attach bolt snaps. I use either the Dive Rite thingamajigs Pete just posted or thin bungee and lots of knots.

I've started using a bit of bungee cord with an overhand knot tied in it to make a loop. I cowhitch that to the boltsnap and then loop it 2/3 times around the thing I'm attaching to then stretch the end over the boltsnap. There's enough slack to pull it away from the hose etc a little and swipe it with a trilobite or similar.

Hello all ,

I've been wondering if someone knows where I can find a guide , preferably a video/ with pictures that shows how to tie various easy cut knots to strap different pieces of gear ?

What i mean by easy cut - the knots I have been using so far are very tight and in the event of entanglement it will be difficult to cut them loose.

Knots I currently use are like shown here

What I am aiming for is roughly like shown here

I wish I could describe it better but I'm afraid this is where my English falls short.

Basically I need a knot that enables me to slide a knife or line cutter between the item (let's say HP hose ) and the swivel so I can cut them should I need to.

Would appreciate any tips / guidance .

Thanks,

- Shachaf .

Have you tried cutting your line under water? You don't need to get underneath the line to cut it, you can saw the top of the line or knick at fairly easily from the sides and work your way down the strands fairly quickly.

Why dont you use the #24 nylon line found on spools? That plus the normal knots is the perfect balance of secure and easy to cut.

The knots shown in the videos that BurhanMuntasser posted are the way to go.

As one of our ex navy DM's likes to tell students "if you can't tie a knot, tie a lot"

I never had luck with cave line to attach bolt snaps. I use either the Dive Rite thingamajigs Pete just posted or thin bungee and lots of knots.
What has been the problem?

There are probably more of this type of videos on this channel than just these two.
I didn't like those. He doesn't tie a half reef knot before passing the ends around the loop for the final reef knot, and the result looks messy.

I prefer the method shown here. Hasn't failed me yet as long as i make sure to melt the line ends properly. I use braided polyester line, about 2mm diameter. We call it flag line and can by it by the meter in a half-decent boating shop, in a bunch of different thicknesses, for next to nothing for a couple of meters. I keep a couple of meters of it in my save-a-dive kit, in two different thicknesses (1.5mm and 2.5mm IIRC)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom