Rescue or ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are 100% correct. My comment was that training excersizes do not use realistic situations. IE convulsing diver grab then from behind take them up. CONTROLLED OOA calmly donate our reg and go up. all very simple and not demanding at all. As you mentioned ocean divnig in your comment. many situations of just getting a diver back on a boat in a somewhat mild sea state is exhausting at times let alone while doing a rescue. When you watch the videos of rescue training events where the victim is coming at you and you have to evade to gain position to safely take charge of the victim and return to the surface, you cant help but think how difficult it would be in a current or if not in good physical condition or as one posted a disabled diver. When I did my rescue towing the diver took a lot of energy to get them to shore in a reasonable time. A fatigued diver is one thing ,,,a hurt or unconscious or a panic stricken diver is another matter. Classes seem to avoid those situations. Stripping gear of the victim while towing is another very exhausting phase of rescue.

The biggest part of rescue for me was learning to recognize problems bilding and preventing the situation from becoming critical in order to avoid the need for rescue. Recognition and prevention through intervention can be learned form reading. Early intervention deters uncontrollable stiuations form developing.

When I was a Dive Coordinator (NASDS, similar to DM) on the the Bottom Scratcher or Sand Dollar the hardest typical rescue is one you don't train for - when a diver gets too close to the island (San Clemente) then gets tossed up on the rocks and is being beaten about. You need to get to them, get them back in the water - all in the waves and surge. The scenarios help in that you get more skills, but you are unlikely to encounter many of them.

OP, NAUI Master Diver included just about everything that was covered in the PADI Rescue course I took, and I think it was more thorough all around. The specific course for Rescue is for some odd reason not a pre-requisite for the NAUI Master Diver course nor does the NAUI Master Diver certification count as being Rescue Diver certified.....but if you want the skills and you want a course that might challenge you this is what I recommend....other than that I would recommend one or more of the following (listed in no particular order):

Self-reliant/solo diver certification
Cavern/cave/wreck penetration certification
GUE Fundamentals

-Z

I am recently AOW certified and contemplating Rescue for a few reasons:

1. I want to continue training and build up my skills and confidence with an Instructor.

2. I’ve had a string of boat dives recently that left me a bit uncomfortable (group dives that didn’t pair up buddies, DM leading unqualified divers through wrecks, less than stellar insta buddies with no respect for the buddy system at all). So I want to develop my skills in the event that if something goes wrong and help isn’t around, I can save my own behind.

3. I find myself naturally looking out for everyone anyway. Almost to a point where I’m more concerned about making sure my buddy/my group is safe rather than actually enjoying the dive. I’m not neurotic, but there are too many sad stories out there, and I don’t want to become a statistic or witness one, wishing I had the skills or training to help or prevent it.

One of my good friends (and dive buddy) is an attorney and has tried to discourage me from getting the Rescue C card. She warns... too much liability and obligation, and with all the litigation these days, I’d be exposing myself to unnecessary liability if something went wrong.

I know there is mixed controversy on the subject on this forum, and I’m not looking for advice on whether I should or shouldn’t do it. At the end of the day, only I can decide if an accident happened, would I feel better knowing I tried to help and failed? Or did nothing, but didn’t get sued? I think that’s a personal decision that I need to wrestle with myself.

But I am wondering if not Rescue, then what? I’m looking for recommendations on which specialty courses I could/should take that would provide the same/similar skills development as Rescue. Underwater Nav + ??? Again, I want to advance my skills with an instructor, beyond just “gain more experience diving with (questionable) buddies” and “continue practicing OW basics.”

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

If the liability issue is a concern, then skip over DM if you don’t intend on being one.

Not doing Rescue because of liability is ridiculous. There are a lot of Rescue-.trained divers out there.

The liability concept is simply stupid. Take the class. You will learn that point 1 of it is - "Don't put yourself in a position to be a second victim". You think they can teach that in the class if there is a expectation that you must act? Also, the good Samaritan act additionally protects you.

The class, although skill based, is also a "thinking class". Learn to head things off in advance. Again, "the best rescue is one that never had to happen". Situational awareness...

Afraid? Stop diving, and stay at home behind closed doors to the world.

With my family diving, it was essential to me to be better at my game. Was just plain obvious to have these skills and knowledge.

YMMV

There isn't a liability issue, take the class. You'll learn enough about self-rescue and situational awareness that it is worth it. I took mine through NAUI, and we did have one person in class whose primary concern was liability should something happen. The way the instructor explained it, and it was covered in a slide in the classroom presentation as well though I am not sure if this was NAUI material or other material supplemented by Instructor, is that there is no "duty to care" requirement in the US that relates to this as a recreational activity. Different when acting as an Instructor or other professional capacity.

It's been said already but I have to echo. Take the Rescue course. It will teach you more than just how to rescue other divers or yourself. In fact, it's more about situational awareness and what to look for in other divers to prevent incidents/accidents (two different things) from occurring. And, if it's done right, it will challenge you and be lots of fun.

You attorney friend is somewhat correct with regards to liability. Somewhat in the fact that yes you are liable for your actions should you choose to act. You are not classified as a dive professional; therefore, you have no legal obligation to act. Now if you were a DM/Instructor and identified yourself as such, then yes you would have a legal obligation, but as a simple recreational diver with a rescue certification, you do not and are therefore not required by law to act. Now if you choose to act in the event of an incident/accident, then you have a legal obligation to act to the extent of your training and the best of your abilities. But that's all. If someone wants to sue you afterward, then that's certainly their right to do so, but it doesn't necessarily mean they have a valid case. Hope that helps.

I also recommend that you take the rescue course.

I took the course due to being involved in a rescue and initially not realizing what was going on. Herman and I were diving Oil Slick in Bonaire and had returned to the ladder to exit. The couple ahead of us were screwing around and would not get out of the water. I thought they were dumb asses - Herman thought they were in full on panic mode (he was right). With Herman's guidance we were able to get them safely to shore.

This incident convinced me to take rescue to become more aware of my surroundings and other divers.

Personal big takeaways from Rescue - #1. I really am a weak swimmer and have no business becoming a DM or an Instructor.
#2. Always be observant of all the divers on the boat or in the group if shore diving (including before you ever enter the water). #3. Don't make a bad situation worse.

Take rescue. Many divers are clueless, someday you’ll see someone who needs help. A boat captain may need a hand with cpr, etc. Don’t let fear of imaginary courtrooms affect your best judgement. You don’t have to tell anyone you have a rescue cert.

+1 Rescue.
Have only been diving for 4 years and my mottos are to always dive safely and more scuba coaching/training is always a good thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom