Dive Flag Needed for Shore Dives Brockville?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The OP's question was

Dive Flag Needed for Shore Dives Brockville?

Any thoughts ?

SDM

I would say yes (for safety, not sure about legality). We did not actually get to do the shore dives that I wanted, but just from hearing the boat traffic above us in and around the St. Lawrence River there's no way I'd want to shore dive without one.

I mean, there were a few boats that were flying through there (around our dive boat). Did not seem like they had any cares about people diving.

Yes there is a line at the end of Stovin Island. It usually goes down to 90 feet. However the 60 foot to 90 foot section is broken at present.

How long it takes is variable. It depends on how strong the current is, your depth and whether you stop to look at things.
It is usually about 25 to 30 minutes.

Yes there is a line at the end of Stovin Island. It usually goes down to 90 feet. However the 60 foot to 90 foot section is broken at present.

How long it takes is variable. It depends on how strong the current is, your depth and whether you stop to look at things.
It is usually about 25 to 30 minutes.

Interesting. We were told just don't miss it, but if you did "this" would happen. Not told about the other rope. Interesting. Would have to ask about that next time.

That does bring up a point, Kinghorn did not have a line to follow at the bottom of the mooring line. Just get to the bottom and swim into the current about 30' or so and the wreck pops up in front....kinds neat. I'm sure someone will replace the line at some point.

@rhwestfall
"Flags don't matter"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Flags do matter !

IF the diver (you?) had been struck while displaying the dive flag then you would have had recourse in the legal system
IF you were NOT displaying the divers flag - you would probably be considered an unidentified object floating in the water with no legal recourse.

SDM

@Sam Miller III - yes, that is me diving and running the camera. However, flag or no flag, dead would be dead. I would be no better off... Interestingly enough, this is also Canadian waters, so I do wonder at all if my heirs would have any legal recourse...

Even the "shadow boat" we had guarding us couldn't ward off this moron.

A person -- such as you -- needs a certain amount of training to dive

A person - such as the boat operator - needs no training to operate a boat

Both have responsibilities
The diver to identify diving activities
The boater to recognize and avoid diving activities

SDM

Back
Top Bottom