NON-rechargeable battery light options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would that work? I mean I rather like my DGX600 with 18650s but I suppose if you can't....

apparently some flashlights it will work but there is a different amount of voltage so it works with some and will burn others out...just not sure if DGX 600 can do it.

Tell that to the Mexicans when you try and exit the country.
For those of us that don't already know what you are referring to, can you enlighten us please?

For those of us that don't already know what you are referring to, can you enlighten us please?
There are threads on this. For a long time their rule was the opposite of the rest of the world. ...lithiums had to be checked, not carried on. Now it seems it depends on the airport. They also tend to lump all batteries together, so the chance of seeing your batteries disappear when you exit the country is high. :(

apparently some flashlights it will work but there is a different amount of voltage so it works with some and will burn others out...just not sure if DGX 600 can do it.

An old flashlight has the batteries connected to the filament, as the old batteries wear out the voltage decreases and the light dims.

The new lights are LED and run by a control board. The board needs a specified voltage to operate, because li batteries maintain their voltage as they are used, it can run the control board until there is not enough current to run the light. Using an old lead acid battery, the voltage depends on the current draw, and prior use, if the voltage is not high enough it cannot run the cuircuit board, and the light goes out, or never goes on.

Bob

I like these OrcaTorch D560 A Mini Diving Dive Light with only 9 cm Length which takes a single AA and lasts about 90 minutes, and OrcaTorch D520 Palm-sized Dive Light with a Mechanically Rotary Switch which takes 18650s and is very bright. Maybe you could just take enough 18650s to have one per day.

I mostly use a big canister torch and use these as a backup or to lend out. I also have a Hollis LED6 which is one of your fish bashers and suffers from being a bit flickery and is a disappointment. I had another of those I found next to a battleship and was actually better than the one I paid for until it eventually died.

leisure pro actually offers these in a combo. I was considering picking these up and a primary and back up as starter lights.

OrcaTorch D520/D560 Light Package

When leaving Mexico at the airport, the officials confiscate all of your batteries.

When leaving Mexico at the airport, the officials confiscate all of your batteries.
You mean from just carry-on, or also from checked luggage? You mean spare batteries, or also those that are in devices, removable or not. Just what do you mean?

The airport authorities will search your carry-on bags and confiscate your batteries. Exactly which batteries depends on the whim of the agent who is doing the searching. Or they may not take anything at all. It is, after all, Mexico.

They may do this when you first go through security, or they may do this when they search your bags at the gate.

EDIT:

Found this statement:
Carry-On Prohibited Items:
BATTERIES (Loose, used or new, packaged or stored in travel containers) However, Batteries installed in cameras, phones, laptops, and other electronic devices are OK at the time of this update. )

Arriving/Departing the Cozumel Airport - A Guided Tour

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom