How to unroll 300LB mono that’s not on a reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

STB

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
How to unroll 300LB mono that’s not on a reel

Purchased 100yards of 300LB mono plan to use 2/3s of the 100yards on speargun reel.

Same ? for the 3/16th blue steel rope I plan for the float line. No reel.

I mite be able to stuff a pipe inside the BS center hole.

I don’t have a lazy susan.

thanks for Any tips on unrolling the line & rope?

Attachments

• 300mono.jpg
    300mono.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 307
  • blue steel.jpg
    blue steel.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 288
I'd just cob togather a makeshift reel to hold it togather. It always seems better than having a tangled mess that inevitably happens if I don't.

Bob

Reactions: STB
For the coil of blue steel line... Put it in a bucket, cut the tie straps, grab the end of the line that is in the center of the coil and pull it out as needed.

You normally always pull a coil of line from the center.

For the mono, just hold the coil in your hands, cut the tires, and uncool it one loop at a time until you get what you needed.

use a roll of paper towels for the mono.
slide the mono onto a roll of towels.
secure the inner end of the mono with tape.
mount in holder and pull free end of line.

..Purchased 100yards of 300LB mono plan to use 2/3s of the 100yards on speargun reel....
Why would you want 66yds(200ft) of thick stiff mono on a speargun reel? Since mono holds it's shape, that's going to birds-nest like crazy. Also due to the thickness of 300lb mono, I haven't seen a speargun reel that is large enough to hold that.(but could be). A kevlar or similar line will be stronger, lighter and more flexible for a reel. The only real benefit of mono on a speargun is when doing wraps since the thick mono holds its shape(memory) and is quicker to reload around the line release and tip of the gun.

Why would you want 66yds(200ft) of thick stiff mono on a speargun reel? Since mono holds it's shape, that's going to birds-nest like crazy. Also due to the thickness of 300lb mono, I haven't seen a speargun reel that is large enough to hold that.(but could be). A kevlar or similar line will be stronger, lighter and more flexible for a reel. The only real benefit of mono on a speargun is when doing wraps since the thick mono holds its shape(memory) and is quicker to reload around the line release and tip of the gun.
dam I got the wrong stuff. really don't foresee a need to use 300LB for rod/reel leaders sending back.

I also purchased 100' 900LB 1.8mm cord to tie wishbone to slings. maybe I use this for reel? it won't hold it's shape. and I assume it's durable enough for saltwater.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078W4B8DJ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s02?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

gun is JBL 41" rail gun that I attached a 8/9 fly reel to.
the plan is to resuse the JBL 15' nylon shooting line tied to reels line the reel has a drag I can set to almost freespool but hold line taught, plan to use hand for reel.
rememeber this is my first reel.thanks STB

Attachments

• speargun reel bracket done2.jpg
    speargun reel bracket done2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 274
For the coil of blue steel line... Put it in a bucket, cut the tie straps, grab the end of the line that is in the center of the coil and pull it out as needed.

You normally always pull a coil of line from the center.

For the mono, just hold the coil in your hands, cut the tires, and uncool it one loop at a time until you get what you needed.
excellent advice come to think of it did I observe this bucket of rope at home depot pulled off from center.

two years ago I attempted unrolling the 300' of 3/8" anchor line has infinite kinks.

I unrolled like a roll of say coax cable wire basicely rolling roll on the ground it also didn't have a reel. was unrolling from outside create these twists? thanks STB

Attachments

• twisted rode.jpg
    twisted rode.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 252
  • twisted rode2.jpg
    twisted rode2.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 260
If the rope is on a spool it needs to be unrolled... If you try and flip it around the spool with the spool sitting on end you'll get those kinks. It has to do with the construction of the line.

If the line was originally in a coil pulling from the inside would have helped prevent that.

To get the king out you have a couple options.

1. Lay the line out to it's full length and start untwisting it by hand. It will take a while but you can do it.

2. Take the anchor off but leave the chain attached. Get to deep enough water where you can let it hang all the way out without touching the bottom. Retrieve and deploy it a couple times and the twists will usually work out.

3. Take all the chain off and drag the line behind the boat while making way through the water. Be careful not to get the line wrapped in your prop our anyone else's. This sometimes works is you can't get deep enough water to let the line spin with the chain on the end.

Good luck. It can be a pain.

Reactions: STB
If the rope is on a spool it needs to be unrolled... If you try and flip it around the spool with the spool sitting on end you'll get those kinks. It has to do with the construction of the line.

If the line was originally in a coil pulling from the inside would have helped prevent that.

To get the king out you have a couple options.

1. Lay the line out to it's full length and start untwisting it by hand. It will take a while but you can do it.

2. Take the anchor off but leave the chain attached. Get to deep enough water where you can let it hang all the way out without touching the bottom. Retrieve and deploy it a couple times and the twists will usually work out.

3. Take all the chain off and drag the line behind the boat while making way through the water. Be careful not to get the line wrapped in your prop our anyone else's. This sometimes works is you can't get deep enough water to let the line spin with the chain on the end.

Good luck. It can be a pain.
yes I tried untwisting by hand in the back yard got some kinks out.
deepest depth. so far is only 120'

I did try the drop an let it untwist kindof like a old fashion telephone cord however left the anchor a 8LB danforth probably prevented it from unspinning. thanks for tips STB

I'm not having the usalle good luck w/ the rod/reel this year so I'm extremely anxious to kill a good size fish in next few weeks. but now am concerned about over population of sharks not just happy stealing my catch but taking a bit outta me.
I'm convinced the sharks are ruining my Gulf Mexico Panhandle ,FL fishing area.

You might consider using the 300-lb mono to build a shooting line for direct attachment to the spear/slider. If you add a muzzle bungi, you will have a much more functional gun.

Some inexpensive guns are rigged with no means to disconnect the shooting line from the gun. This can be a major pain in the neck if/when you shoot through a fish and he is on the shooting line and makes a tangled mess.

A detachable muzzle bungi might be a good addition.

https://www.makospearguns.com/South-African-Super-Stretch-Shock-Cord-p/msssc.htm

MSSSC-2T.jpg

As has already mentioned, you don't want the mono on the reel. We have a reel line:

https://www.makospearguns.com/High-Performance-Dyneema-Reel-Line-p/mdrl.1.htm

MDRL.1-2T.jpg

this tutorial may help with rigging the mono... We have hardware and tools for that as well
https://www.makospearguns.com/crimping-your-shooting-line-a/256.htm

Back
Top Bottom