New Member-Hello /question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JMasat

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Group,
I an a newer openwater diver with 21 logged dives. I have taken AOW course.. but not signed off yet.

I have some issues with bouancy control.
Peak performance bouancy class did not "fix"
Obviously need to spend a ton of time working at it...

That said, I have improved my breathing, decreased my weight.. but still tend to "bounce"

One istructor indicated some of my difficulties may be equipment related.

I am using a Zeagle ranger BC (Wing)
"Bubble control" seems to be an issue.
The air gets trapped on the right side.. so I am uncomfortably listing to the left... causing struggles.

Does anyone have thoughts on how to work though this?

Respectfully- loose the BC for another style is unproductive.
This is the equipment I have. It is my challenge to master.

Thanks in advance !

I dive a Ranger, you'll get it sorted out. It is very balanced,

One thing I did about 15 years ago was to burn a dive working on buoyancy. I shoot video and would occasionally sink down onto the reef b/c I was intent on what I was filming.

So what I did was find a dive site around 100' with a sand bottom and try different things till I got it right. My patient buddy handed me trim weights while I did. I even tried a few attempts with my eyes closed.

Now I pretty much know ihow much weight I need. My optimum split is 70/30 front back but unless the boat has single 1lb, trim weights, the best I can usually do is 60/40

My buddy told me later he could see it in my face when I got it right. Sometimes when I'm filming I use one hand sculling the water to move in/out of a scene.

You do have to focus a little to maintain it - if I haven't been in the water for a while, I often do my first dive without my video gear.

You'll get there, mine was around dive #50.

If he's a real instructor he should be able to make anything work,

As the Zeagle is a horse-shoe shaped wing, you need to lift your head a bit to get the air to the top so you can balance it between both halves of the wing (then re-establish trim). Also to dump the if the air is in the right wing get your left shoulder up (or use the bottom dumps).

If he's a real instructor he should be able to make anything work,
The instructor is and will; but I do/will dive without them. Ultimately it is my responsibility to become proficient with gear I have chosen.

As the Zeagle is a horse-shoe shaped wing, you need to lift your head a bit to get the air to the top so you can balance it between both halves of the wing (then re-establish trim). Also to dump the if the air is in the right wing get your left shoulder up (or use the bottom dumps).
Regarding the positioning and the dumps:
Appreciate! Will work with this :)

I dive a Ranger, you'll get it sorted out. It is very balanced,

One thing I did about 15 years ago was to burn a dive working on buoyancy. I shoot video and would occasionally sink down onto the reef b/c I was intent on what I was filming.

So what I did was find a dive site around 100' with a sand bottom and try different things till I got it right. My patient buddy handed me trim weights while I did. I even tried a few attempts with my eyes closed.

Now I pretty much know ihow much weight I need. My optimum split is 70/30 front back but unless the boat has single 1lb, trim weights, the best I can usually do is 60/40

My buddy told me later he could see it in my face when I got it right. Sometimes when I'm filming I use one hand sculling the water to move in/out of a scene.

You do have to focus a little to maintain it - if I haven't been in the water for a while, I often do my first dive without my video gear.

You'll get there, mine was around dive #50.
Excellent feedback. I have certainly been thinking about trim weight.
I will work the suggestions and give it time.
The more I dive it.. the more I will adjust!
Thank you!

full.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom