Apo Reef - thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pelicanne

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I haven’t seen a whole load on here about Apo Reef, but it’s a site I’m considering as part of my Philippines holiday next March.

Is it worthwhile making a day trip, overnight or longer LOB trip to... Or not?

What are the chances in March of seeing large pelagics as well as reef fish and little stuff?

Thanks in advance!

Highly recommended but getting there is NOT that easy.

White tips are quite normal there.

Highly recommended but getting there is NOT that easy.

White tips are quite normal there.

i notice there’s a budget liveaboard from Coron which gets good reviews, plus various overnight trips and day trips from Mindoro... I don’t know how reliably these run if there aren’t many takers?

As I can’t afford Tubbataha Reef on this trip, I thought it might be my best chance of seeing a variety of big stuff....

Ah, I thought whale sharks, turtles, rays were common? Plenty of people claim to have seen these from the reviews I've read?

Massive corals, lots of small stuff. I've done it three times - never saw any any big stuff besides enormous turtles. Definitely worthwhile.

Massive corals, lots of small stuff. I've done it three times - never saw any any big stuff besides enormous turtles. Definitely worthwhile.

Thanks so much. Can I ask how you’ve made the trip? I fly to Manila and only have two weeks there, so am wondering which would be the best way to fit it into the trip.

I've found three ways to dive Apo Reef.
1. Stay on Pandan Island and dive with PI Resort. They have unlimited shore/boat dive package I believe. Good deals for groups, ok deals for solo. It's very close to Sablayan (read below).
2. Dive Coron then take DiveUNDA's LOB to Apo: Fly to Busuanga from MNL.
3. Boats out from Sablayan: either fly to San Jose from MNL or bus + ferry from Manila.

It seems more accessible and affordable than its reputation. I hope to go soon too. Late March - April is the best time I heard. Maybe I'll head there next year.

I've found three ways to dive Apo Reef.
1. Stay on Pandan Island and dive with PI Resort. They have unlimited shore/boat dive package I believe. Good deals for groups, ok deals for solo. It's very close to Sablayan (read below).
2. Dive Coron then take DiveUNDA's LOB to Apo: Fly to Busuanga from MNL.
3. Boats out from Sablayan: either fly to San Jose from MNL or bus + ferry from Manila.

It seems more accessible and affordable than its reputation. I hope to go soon too. Late March - April is the best time I heard. Maybe I'll head there next year.

Thank you, I hadn’t come across the Pandan Island option - will take a look! I’m planning my trip for late March.

Thanks so much. Can I ask how you’ve made the trip? I fly to Manila and only have two weeks there, so am wondering which would be the best way to fit it into the trip.

Went from Atlantis Dumaguette. Flew there then bangka to the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom