Basic gear from the mid-twentieth-century Federal Republic of Germany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Delighted to hear that language learning matters not only exercise my mind! I may be a little dilatory in the coming weeks with my postings as my main PC has developed a technical problem and I'm using my backup laptop instead. Fortunately, I backed up my files from the errant computer and have installed them on the laptop.

So back to Barakuda masks. These appear on page 4 (below) of the 1973 catalogue, which is dedicated to compensator models. We'll start today with the "Ustica" (No. 15).
BARAKUDA-1973---4.jpg
German: "USTICA. Eine Druckausgleichmaske mit ausgebildetem Nasenkerker und besonders großem Blickfeld, die sich durch einen außerordentlich angenehmen und dichten Sitz auszeichnet. USTICA komplett mi SIGLA. Best.-Nr. 130200. Ersatzscheibe SIGLA. Best.-Nr. 130222. Sprengrahmen. Best.-Nr. 130235. Nackenband. Best-Nr. 130207"
Rough translation: "USTICA. A compensator mask with projecting nose recess and a particularly large field of vision, which comes with an extremely comfortable and watertight fit. USTICA complete with safety-glass lens. Order No. 130200. Replacement safety-glass lens. Order No. 130222. Snap-on rim. Order No. 130235. Head strap. Order no. 130207."

This mask is named after the small island of Ustica situated north of Capo Gallo, Italy, in the Tyrrhenian Sea. In appearance it resembles the Baravista mask, which we reviewed in an earlier posting on this thread:
barakuda-1967-6-jpg.542432.jpg

This design inevitably recalls the Cressi Pinocchio of 1953, worn below by its inventor Luigi Ferraro:
1luigiferraro_0-preview-jpg-411046-jpg-511738-jpg-518344-jpg-521769-jpg-541530-jpg.542435.jpg

Second mask of the day is the Barakuda Lugano, No. 16 on the page.
barakuda-1973-4-jpg.544678.jpg

German: "LUGANO. Druckausgleichsmaske mit Kunststoffscheibe und Metallsprengrahmen, orange. Best.-Nr. 131700. DM 9,90."
Rough translation: "LUGANO. Compensator mask with plastic lens and metal snap-on rim, orange. Order No. 131700. DM 9.90."

Lugano is a city in southern Switzerland in the Italian-speaking canton of Ticino bordering Italy. The mask named after this city appears to be a typical oval mask with a top screw and a then popular safety orange finish.

Next up is the Barakuda Ostia, No. 17 on the page.
barakuda-1973-4-jpg-544678-jpg.544702.jpg

German: "OSTIA, schwarz, orange. Erwachsenen-Tauchmaske mit SIGLA-Scheibe und Sprengrahmen. Breites, ovales Blickfeld, Druckausgleichsbälge. Best.-Nr. 141200. DM 13,50"
Rough translation: "OSTIA, black, orange. Adult diving mask with safety-glass lens and snap-on rim. Wide, oval field of vision. Compensator corrugated bosses. Order No. 141200. DM 13.50."

Ostia, after which this mask is named, is a large neighbourhood in the X Municipio of the comune of Rome, Italy, near the ancient port of Rome. The mask has a rounded rectangular shape, with increased width than other designs to give visual breadth.

Fourth and final mask of the day is the Barakuda Chios, No. 18 below:
barakuda-1973-4-jpg-544678-jpg-544702-jpg.544703.jpg

German: "CHIOS. Druckausgleichsmaske mit kleinem Todraum, Nasenerkerform, Sicherheitsglas. Farbe schwarz. Rahmen aus Kunststoff. Best.-Nr. 130800. DM 16,50."
Rough translation: "CHIOS. Compensator mask with low dead space, nose recess, safety glass. Colour black. Plastic rim. Order No. 130800. DM 16.50."

The mask derives its name from Χίος, the fifth largest of the Greek islands, situated in the northern Aegean Sea. So another model in the Pinocchio tradition, with the shaped glass retained by a plastic rim. And yes, I spy another of those circular marks on the top left of the mask image. I'm beginning to think that it might be brand sticker of some kind.

More Barakuda compensator masks from the 1973 catalogue next time. Stay tuned!

Page 5 of the 1973 Barakuda catalogue lists five more in-house-manufactured diving masks as well as several imported models. We'll stick to the former for the purposes of this review. First up today is the Arlecchino-Cromata, No 23 in the image below:
BARAKUDA-1973---5.jpg

German: "ARLECCHINO-CROMATA, schwarz. Druckausgleichsmaske mit verchromtem Sprengrahmen, Sicherheitsglas. Best.-Nr. 140800, DM 39.90."
Rough translation: "ARLECCHINO-CROMATA, black. Compensator mask with chrome-plated snap-on rim, safety glass. Order No. 140800, DM 39.90."

The Barakuda masks reviewed so far are named after islands and seaside resorts on the Mediterranean. The Arlecchino-Cromata is an exception that "proves" the rule. The name is Italian for "chrome-plated Harlequin". Harlequin (below) was a stock comic servant stage-character in the commedia dell'arte theatre of the 1670s:
SAND_Maurice_Masques_et_bouffons_01.jpg

The Arlecchino-Cromata mask came with a very high price tag for its time, almost DM 40, which can probably be attributed to the lens rim being chrome-plated. Otherwise the model comes with the now familiar rounded rectangular shape providing additional breadth of vision.

Next up is the Barakuda Samos, numbered 24 on the catalogue page:
barakuda-1973-5-jpg.545174.jpg

German: "SAMOS, schwarz, orange. Mit SIGLA-Scheibe, Ausblasventil und Druckausgleich. Best.-Nr. 140100, DM 14.85."
Rough translation: "SAMOS, black, orange, with safety glass lens, purge valve and compensator, Order No. 140100, DM 14.85."

The mask is named after the Greek island of Samos in the eastern Aegean Sea off the coast of Asia Minor. The use of the colour orange was a fashion and safety feature introduced during the 1970s to alert other water users of the presence of snorkellers. The Samos not only undercut the Arlecchino-Cromata in price but also came with the bonus feature of a purge valve.

Third in line is the Barakuda Napoli diving mask, numbered 25 on the catalogue page:
barakuda-1973-5-jpg-545174-jpg.545176.jpg

German: "NAPOLI, schwarz. Erwachsenen-Tauchmaske mit Sicherheitsglas und Kunststoffrahmen. Vorrichtung für Ausblasventil ist vorhanden, Nasenerker für Druckausgleich. Best.-Nr. 121500, DM 16.50."
Rough translation: "NAPOLI, black. Adult diving mask with safety glass and plastic rim. Purge-valve fixture is available. Nose recess for compensation. Order No. 121500, DM 16.50."

"Napoli" is Italian, of course, for "Naples", the regional capital of Campania and the third-largest municipality in Italy after Rome and Milan. The Barakuda Napoli mask was another rounded rectangular model fitted with a plastic rim and a safety-glass lens offering an extended field of vision.

Fourth Barakuda mask of the day is the Salerno, numbered 26:
barakuda-1973-5-jpg-545174-jpg-545176-jpg.545177.jpg

German: "SALERNO, schwarz. Druckausgleichsmaske in Nasenerkerform, mit Sicherheitsglas, Sprengrahmen aus Metall und Vorrichtung für Ausblasventil. Best.-Nr. 141000, DM 18.95."
Rough translation: "SALERNO, black. Compensator mask in nose-recess format, with safety glass, metal snap-on rim and purge valve fixture. Order No. 141000, DM 18.95."

Located on the Gulf of Salerno in Italy on the Tyrrhenian Sea, Salerno is an ancient city and the present-day capital of the region of Campania. The Barakuda Salerno mask resembles the Barakuda Baravista reviewed earlier in the thread:
barakuda-1967-6-jpg-542432-jpg.544697.jpg

The Salerno comes with a much lower price tag, though, and offers the possibility of a purge valve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom