Possible southern reef closure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving in the open sites is no different today than it was before the closure - all diving is fantastic. The sites that are open are slightly different than the ones closed - mostly less large formations but otherwise the water is fine.

Let's clear the "up North" diving stigma up - The statement that "there's no shortage of missing divers stories" is really out there, very misleading in fact. The last two divers missing were fishermen, the ones before that were fishermen - in fact, the only normal scuba diver to go missing recently that I can remember was Cameron, God rest his soul. Fishermen dive differently than you and I, very different - so different that I think those guys are nuts - they also dive in different areas than we dive - I also don't think these guys were lost forever, I believe I hear most are found.

More and more shops will be taking people "North" to Baracuda and San Juan, maybe even farther North than that. Those sites are "expert" sites when the current is humming, separations can happen and that can cause a problem. Some operators have PLB's and I'd highly suggest using one, big SMB's (plural on purpose) and listening very closely to the dive briefing - the next stop Cuba is no joke. They are expert sites when dove by experts lead by experts and picked up by experts that can be a blast, one non listening diver can ruin it for everyone. If you are not comfortable speed drift diving (if the currents are humming and your operator will probably have an idea), just stay down south, you aren't missing anything.

Come here and have fun, dive what you are comfortable diving - they give out Tequila here, not trophies.

Cameron wasn't a 'normal scuba diver', he was an Olympic class scuba diver, so him vanishing is a stark reminder of the dangers there. I'm hoping financially desperate dive shops don't drastically lower their vetting standards for taking common/average vacation divers 'up north', otherwise Dandy Don won't have enough hours in the day to post all the obituaries.

Diving the North is an interesting subject to me, but , I've read the weather and conditions often prevent this and there's no shortage of stories of missing divers etc ( don't know how accurate these are). I've asked the operation looking after us in November to take us up North if conditions allow and admittedly a tad concerned. Any experience would be helpful , thanks.

What missing divers? Most that I have read of were at sites well south of Barracuda/San Juan.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The posts related to cataract surgery have been split off to their own thread. Posts about that should be placed here. Cataract Surgery (Split from Cozumel Reef Closure Thread) This thread is about the reef closures on Cozumel.

The sites well north of Barracuda are quite varied in suitabity for divers. Just as in the south, but because of remoteness we take special precautions and have for years. And yes we vet them.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers.

Diving in the open sites is no different today than it was before the closure - all diving is fantastic. The sites that are open are slightly different than the ones closed - mostly less large formations but otherwise the water is fine.
Chuck, how are the crowds at the open southern sites now?

Chuck, how are the crowds at the open southern sites now?

I’m trying to finish my house and haven’t dove since it closed - island is pretty slow now, I’d imagine it’s not so bad

What missing divers? Most that I have read of were at sites well south of Barracuda/San Juan.

I was searching info on the Barracuda dive site and more than one article referenced missing divers. One site was reefsofcozumel . I know the web is misleading and am looking for advice from the experts here

I know of at least two missing divers. You have Cameron, and that other dive instructor that disappeared the same week solo diving northern reefs.

I know of at least two missing divers. You have Cameron, and that other dive instructor that disappeared the same week solo diving northern reefs.

Cameron was shore diving and it was south of barracuda - the second person you referenced they are not sure if he even entered the water, he was at Cozumel marine world, no where near barracuda.

Separation is the biggest potential problem at that site. If you are not comfortable fast drift diving, don’t go - it is a fantastic dive but you need experienced confident people around you when the current is fast.

I’ll say again, most all lost divers are fishermen, and they get found.

Navy rescues tourists off Isla Mujeres after they lose contact with diving boat - Riviera Maya News
Two missing divers successfully located off Cozumel - Riviera Maya News
Another Cozumel diver 'misplaced' at sea - Riviera Maya News
Eight missing divers found off Isla Mujeres - Riviera Maya News
So, there are headlines from earlier this year. Maybe these sorts of incidents are how concerns about "Open Water" (the movie) types of situations develop. There's a video on Simply Scuba that got some views, pointing out some of this. The lesson appears to be: there's a new Bermuda Triangle, and it's just south of Isla Mujeres. Of maybe that isn't the lesson. Heck, maybe Chuck has already told us the lesson. Unless he's wrong and it's aliens.

Back
Top Bottom