Din vs Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, I wasn't. Please enlighten me.

Because AFAIK it's all about the undergarments and has nothing to do with the suit itself. At least with a membrane suit. I've used wildly different amounts of weight wearing the same suit. The difference was the undergarments, from a thin layer of underwear in the pool to a thick, heavy undersuit backed by some quality wool underwear during a cold winter dive.
Before we let new students in open water we run through their weighting. The topic is covered in the BSAC Ocean Diver course; and the drysuit course for those trained in a wetsuit. BSAC go through it all again in the Buoyancy & Trim Workshop, we even provide a weighting record sheet for those new to drysuits to use.

Yes undergarments make a difference, but that’s part of the conversation to get divers to work out their weighting.

Before we let new students in open water we run through their weighting. The topic is covered in the BSAC Ocean Diver course; and the drysuit course for those trained in a wetsuit. BSAC go through it all again in the Buoyancy & Trim Workshop, we even provide a weighting record sheet for those new to drysuits to use.

Yes undergarments make a difference, but that’s part of the conversation to get divers to work out their weighting.
That's basically how I do it as well. "Ok, this undersuit is a little thicker than the one I've used, I'll try adding a couple of kilos and pay attention to my buoyancy".

But if you ask me to calculate the amount of weight I need for a new suit/undergarment combo, that's a no can do for me.

As a dry suite diver (and an engineer who is used to calculating stuff) I must say I agree with Storker. Going to tropical waters for the first time there is at least two unknowns that make the equation less accurate than the guides guesstimate. The bouyancy characteristics of the suite and the tanks.
Dry suite divers are tought to test their bouyancy rather than calculating it. (Changes can to some extent be calculated, if you have the numbers to base the calculations on.)

I would much prefer a guide saying «start with X kg, and do a test» rather than «calculate it for yourself».

Least common demoninator. Unless i'm mistaken, you can adapt from DIN to Yoke but have to convert the other way around right?

The donuts are a pain, take a few moments to pull, and i'm sure get lost.
Correct. You can use an adapter on a DIN reg, but in order to use a a yoke on a DIN tank, you need to remove the yoke connection and replace with DIN. DIN to yoke can be done in seconds with no tools. Yoke to DIN takes a bit longer, is more complicated and requires tools.

I hear you on the donuts, but they aren’t all that hard to remove. I removed them from my tanks over 10 years ago, and still have them. For a dive shop, its probably easier to hold on to them. When they rent the tanks, they just ask which the diver prefers. If DIN, the donut is popped out and stays at the ship.

The manufacturers should have really phased out yoke valves shortly after the convertibles were available. If a manufacturer makes both, they can save on tooling and setup costs by retiring the yoke part

I would much prefer a guide saying «start with X kg, and do a test» rather than «calculate it for yourself».
If you're in the tropics in a DS a guide will probable have little or no experience. You know what weight you need with X cold water undergarments, and thus can roughly figure out what you need for something thinner

If you're in a Wetsuit you can use a rough rule of thumb

In both cases you should make a weight check before you descent and check. with a full tank and a normal breath, if yoru head is the width of a hand below then surface, you're in the ball park

If you ask for an opinion ( I think I might need X weight) you'll get one

Asking how much weight you should take without having attempted any thought by yourself, then the answer might be different.

If the guide tells you how much weight to use, and then you find yourself over or under - you'll blame the guide (or most people will)

As another example, 4 of my friends are going diving in the Antarctic next month. We all dive in the tropics. Yet they've still made dives in their full Antarctic exposure protection in 30C waters to roughly dial in their gear, especially the amount of weight and its placement

Correct. You can use an adapter on a DIN reg, but in order to use a a yoke on a DIN tank, you need to remove the yoke connection and replace with DIN. DIN to yoke can be done in seconds with no tools. Yoke to DIN takes a bit longer, is more complicated and requires tools.

I hear you on the donuts, but they aren’t all that hard to remove. I removed them from my tanks over 10 years ago, and still have them. For a dive shop, its probably easier to hold on to them. When they rent the tanks, they just ask which the diver prefers. If DIN, the donut is popped out and stays at the ship.

The manufacturers should have really phased out yoke valves shortly after the convertibles were available. If a manufacturer makes both, they can save on tooling and setup costs by retiring the yoke part
I was in Thailand last month. The operator provided DIN tanks, but only selected staff were permitted to remove the donut. They’ve had too many damaged by allowing anyone to remove them.

Least common demoninator...
If you are talking tanks, yes. Any regulator will attach to a yoke tank, may need an adaptor. But this thread is about the regulators (not weighting) and the least common denominator would be a DIN regulator.

There are a lot of people out there who have a DIN regulator and don't even know it. They bought it with a yoke adaptor already attached and don't know that it comes off.

I have... Once.

All (pro) valves even on Ali tanks around here are the 300bar type.

Interesting. So, you are saying all the tanks around there are 300 bar DIN, and have a donut that is sized to fit in that 300 bar din and let you use a Yoke reg on it? (after all, that is what a Pro valve is, right? A DIN valve with a donut/insert that lets you use a Yoke reg)

Other than a very small number, tantamount to a one-off, I did not think that the donuts/inserts existed to adapt 300 bar DIN valves to allow use of a Yoke reg. Aren't yoke regs generally (all?) rated for only 232 bar? It seems a bit sketchy to have a tank with a valve that could release 300 bar of pressure into a 1st stage that is only rated to have 232 bar of pressure fed into it.

Interesting. So, you are saying all the tanks around there are 300 bar DIN, and have a donut that is sized to fit in that 300 bar din and let you use a Yoke reg on it? (after all, that is what a Pro valve is, right? A DIN valve with a donut/insert that lets you use a Yoke reg)

Other than a very small number, tantamount to a one-off, I did not think that the donuts/inserts existed to adapt 300 bar DIN valves to allow use of a Yoke reg. Aren't yoke regs generally (all?) rated for only 232 bar? It seems a bit sketchy to have a tank with a valve that could release 300 bar of pressure into a 1st stage that is only rated to have 232 bar of pressure fed into it.
DD didn't say the 300bar tanks had inserts. He said some one tried to fit a 232bar DIN to a 300bar tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom