Ostracod and Coral Spawning Oct 2019

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Per Dive Friends Bonaire Facebook page...

Coral Spawning and Ostracod Night Dives are happening this week!! Get ready for the most magical experience underwate, you DO NOT want to miss out on this!! October is typically our warmest month for underwater temperatures, which means the corals have prime conditions for spawning. Ostracods biolumeniscent show is always a treat! Happening Oct 18-20 for Ostracods and 20-22 for Coral Spawning! Sign up at info@divefriendsbonaire.com today!

Dive Friends Bonaire

I'll be Ostracod-diving in Bonaire tonight. Yesterday was full moon. No need to wait for Oct 18!

I understand it tends to be 2 to 4 days after the full moon, at least the big concentration. I timed my trip to get there Wednesday exactly because of that, I saw some this past December but figure it deserved a second look.
I'm glad the coral spawning will be happening also, that will be a great bonus.

Can someone remind me the time for ostracod’s. I think its 45 minutes post sunset but I am not sure.

And is there an optimal time for spawning?

I saw the ostracods for the first time back in August and wow it was amazing. It took awhile to find someone else to do the dive with me (slow season), so it was basically a week after the full moon and at the tail end of it. Then the dive master showed up late so it had already started by the time we got in the water. But even with all that against it, it was an amazing dive and so very unique. I can't wait to return in the future and try it again.

I'm also curious the best time for future reference, especially if I organize with a group without a local guide. Also, any particularly good spots? The one we went to was Bachelor's Beach right at the mooring ball.

Can someone remind me the time for ostracod’s. I think its 45 minutes post sunset but I am not sure.

And is there an optimal time for spawning?
45 min post sunset is about right.

As far as the spawning I don't know for sure, but I get the feeling it would happen once is fully dark.
I guess like most spices, mating tends to happen after dinner.

You want to be dropping onto the reef after twilight ends. This is about 45 minutes after sunset. Contrary to popular belief seeing Ostracods has nothing to do with Lunar cycles. 5-6 days after a full moon is always good but so is any night the moon setting occurs before sunset. We went June 2nd, which was still a half moon, but the moon set at 5:30 and the sunset was at 6:30. Had an amazing experience. It was hard to find someone to take us as most feel it's only 5-6 days after a full moon. The Ostracods don't give a crap about the moon, they just like total darkness. Now werewolves on the other hand... Paul with Bon Scuba took us that night if you're having trouble finding someone who doesn't believe it's a lunar cycle event.

Jason

Quick question Jason.

When you say..." People that take you out"... Do you mean take you out on a boat or just go with you on a shore dive?

I know Bonaire is a shore dive thing, but "my thing" is jumping off a boat, I'm having a hard time getting a boat to take me (and 3 others) out at night.

Quick question Jason.

When you say..." People that take you out"... Do you mean take you out on a boat or just go with you on a shore dive?

I know Bonaire is a shore dive thing, but "my thing" is jumping off a boat, I'm having a hard time getting a boat to take me (and 3 others) out at night.
Hi Ana,

We did our Ostracod dive with Paul, the owner of Bon Scuba. I don't believe he has a boat. We did a shore dive. He's an excellent guide. He referred me to Aquafunbonaire.com for boat diving. I've been emailing with them about some private charters. He does Ostracod dives (check out his facebook page) and night dives as well. If you're going to do boat dives, try to stick to dive sites that are good of course, with difficult or impossible shore entries. We did several trips to reefs on Klein, which were awesome. We did Small Wall on a night dive and it was excellent. Hope that helps.

Jason

Reactions: Ana
You want to be dropping onto the reef after twilight ends. This is about 45 minutes after sunset. Contrary to popular belief seeing Ostracods has nothing to do with Lunar cycles. 5-6 days after a full moon is always good but so is any night the moon setting occurs before sunset. We went June 2nd, which was still a half moon, but the moon set at 5:30 and the sunset was at 6:30. Had an amazing experience. It was hard to find someone to take us as most feel it's only 5-6 days after a full moon. The Ostracods don't give a crap about the moon, they just like total darkness. Now werewolves on the other hand... Paul with Bon Scuba took us that night if you're having trouble finding someone who doesn't believe it's a lunar cycle event.

Jason
I have always wondered about his, thanks for the explanation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom