Din vs Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DD didn't say the 300bar tanks had inserts. He said some one tried to fit a 232bar DIN to a 300bar tank.

Ummm, did you read what he wrote that I quoted?

"All (pro) valves even on Ali tanks around here are the 300bar type."

A Pro valve has an insert, by definition. That's what makes it a Pro valve. Right?

So, he's saying they have valves with inserts that are 300 bar.

Interesting. So, you are saying all the tanks around there are 300 bar DIN, and have a donut that is sized to fit in that 300 bar din and let you use a Yoke reg on it? (after all, that is what a Pro valve is, right? A DIN valve with a donut/insert that lets you use a Yoke reg)

I used the term Pro valve because people would understand it. We call them convertibles, and teh doughnut is called and insert...

Anyway, I might have been a little misleading. Rental convertibles do accept yokes (thus 232bar) however all the valves I've come across (3 shops) are deep enough that a 232 Din (5 thread?) won't seat and seal, but a 300 bar will. My crack bottle (AP dsmb) used to have a 232 Din, but I had that converted because it wouldn't seat on my cylinders (nor my Din to yoke converter)

Without getting a depth gauge out I couldn't tell you why (just they don't generally work with 232 DIN )

They can't all be the same valve manufacturer.

One of life's mysteries along side the big one of why do donuts (inserts) have a standard hex key size, so I don't need to haul a full set of imperial and metric sets (and will still find one I don't have a key for....)

One of life's mysteries along side the big one of why do donuts (inserts) have a standard hex key size, so I don't need to haul a full set of imperial and metric sets (and will still find one I don't have a key for....)

Drove me nuts until I culled out all the inserts that don't use a single wrench size. I keep a half a dozen inserts in my save a dive kit in case I want to loan out my tanks, or I am getting fills from a yoke only fill station.

I used the term Pro valve because people would understand it. We call them convertibles, and teh doughnut is called and insert...

Anyway, I might have been a little misleading. Rental convertibles do accept yokes (thus 232bar) however all the valves I've come across (3 shops) are deep enough that a 232 Din (5 thread?) won't seat and seal, but a 300 bar will.

I am still not sure I understand. You're saying that 3 shops have 300 bar DIN valves that are Pro valves - meaning, they are convertible and have an insert that is deep enough to seat in the 300 bar DIN valve - and allow you to use a yoke 1st stage reg?

Your earlier post said ""All (pro) valves even on Ali tanks around here are the 300bar type." Implying that what I just said is true.

But, this latest post makes it sound like "rental convertibles" have 232 bar DIN valves, and the 3 shops you're talking about have 300 bar DIN valves on their tanks - which do or do not have inserts to allow yoke regs?

This is the part I'm stuck on. It has been my understanding that (other than possible one-offs) there are no inserts for 300 bar DIN valves that would let you use a yoke reg. And the reason for that being that yoke regs are only rated for 232 bar - so it's on purpose that there is not a way to use them on 300 are DIN valves.

It is on that basis (that you cannot use a yoke reg on a 300 bar DIN valve) that I have always been recommending people to buy DIN regs. But, if you're saying that it is normal (at least, where you are) that people can use their yoke regs on 300 bar DIN valves, then I might need to rethink how I talk to people about this subject.

This is the part I'm stuck on. It has been my understanding that (other than possible one-offs) there are no inserts for 300 bar DIN valves that would let you use a yoke reg. And the reason for that being that yoke regs are only rated for 232 bar - so it's on purpose that there is not a way to use them on 300 are DIN valves.

No, what I'm saying is that although they're 232 bar valves that can accept yokes, and have inserts for conversions to din, the depth of the sealing face one the valve, won't work with 232 bar Din regs, as they don't seal. (yes I know they should, but they don't)

I was my mistake in the first post to call them 300 bar valve (because thy're not) but they don't work with 232 bar Din

That supports the understanding I have had.

But, @Diving Dubai said "All (pro) valves even on Ali tanks around here are the 300bar type."

If that is true, then the article you linked, might need to be updated. 300 bar Pro valves. That would allow a DIN or Yoke reg, even on a 300 bar valve.

Aren't yoke regs generally (all?) rated for only 232 bar?

Modern regs, in general are made for 300 bar, and the yoke, and the tanks you can get them to fit are the restriction. That's why some choose to change their reg from yoke to DIN, rather than buy another when going tech or getting their own tanks.

A yoke reg can be built to handle 300 bar, but the issue is with the number of yokes with lower service pressures (some sub 3000#) on existing regs, is an accident just waiting to happen. I believe that was one of the factors in changing to DIN as the service pressures increased in the US.

What I find interesting is the lack of 3500# and higher (say 300 bar) being made in, or for, the Americas, once the DIN standard was established.

One of my old Sherwood regs from the early '80's was built for 4000# service pressure, ahead of its time but not by enough to see the change in the size of valves over time. Since I have convertable valves on my HP tanks, the reg won't fit, and will only work on older and only some new non-convertible valves.

No, what I'm saying is that although they're 232 bar valves that can accept yokes, and have inserts for conversions to din, the depth of the sealing face one the valve, won't work with 232 bar Din regs, as they don't seal. (yes I know the

Sounds more like a quality control problem than anything else.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom